Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC launches consultation on draft new constitutional ‘Articles’: First responses encouraged by end Feb and after 24/01/2020
- IHBC members with benefits: Subsidies for HE’s roofing ‘Repair and conservation…’, 03 March, London 24/01/2020
- IHBC welcomes report on new housing in England: Design overwhelmingly ‘mediocre’ or ‘poor’… but conservation specialists CAN help! 24/01/2020
- REMINDER – IHBC’s ‘Members with benefits’: FREE CPD at London’s LPOC Property Show, Olympia, 8-9 Feb 24/01/2020
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £488K+ costed opportunities this week: Scottish authority seeks services for building redesign and restoration, valued £467K, closing 31/01/2020 24/01/2020
- LGA: Council chiefs call for permitted development right to be ‘scrapped’ 24/01/2020
- Scottish Government: Improving home energy efficiency consultation, closes 26 March 24/01/2020
- DCMS Evaluation of the Taylor Review Pilot – Emerging Monitoring and Evaluation Evidence 24/01/2020
- Number of threatened ancient woodlands tops the thousand mark 24/01/2020
- Department store Beales collapses into administration 24/01/2020
- Only one in 10 support ‘new towns’, study finds 24/01/2020
- MoD manager to lead Palace of Westminster refurbishment 24/01/2020
- Earthshot Prize: William and Kate launch prize to ‘repair the Earth’ 24/01/2020
- IHBC’s Brighton 2020 School FIRST keynote: Carole Souter CBE, past HLF Chief Executive, lays the foundations for ‘OLD TOWNS : NEW FUTURES’, 19 June 2020 21/01/2020
- Don’t forget the IHBC Marsh Awards for 2020: ‘Your new chance to nominate ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’ for our awards’, closing 29 Feb 2020 21/01/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’… and the edge: Rare bandstand saved after Historic England listing support 21/01/2020
- IHBC’s CPD boost… out of Context: French new towns – history, heritage, appreciation…. and priorities! 21/01/2020
- HE Local Authority Strategic Framework Consultation Survey, closing 3 Feb 21/01/2020
- More looking ahead to #IHBCBrighton2020 and ‘OLD TOWNS : NEW FUTURES’: Further funding and expert support for England’s high streets 21/01/2020
- Don’t forget: NCT Grants Programmes 2019-2023 open 21/01/2020
- ‘We do not accept that the planning system is broken’ – RTPI 21/01/2020
- HE’s New ‘Technical Conservation Guidance’ brochure: Lists free-to-download guidance and reports 21/01/2020
- England’s County Councils Network (CCN) outlines post-election priorities, urging government ‘unleash the potential of counties’ 21/01/2020
- IHBC’s conservation in context: ‘How the scramble for sand is destroying the Mekong’ 21/01/2020
- IHBC Brighton 2020’s Day School ‘sneak preview’: Keynotes, themes, IHBC Spotlights, sponsors and more, to help you prep funding and bursary applications! 17/01/2020
Serious about your career? Stay ‘in the know’ with IHBC’s ‘Jobs etc.’ review, and find conservation roles across design, project management and beyond, for conservation specialists, planners, surveyors and more!
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £2.1M costed opportunities this week: English BC call to join Heritage Professionals framework, valued £2M, closing 05/02/2020
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this week features the call from an English Borough Council (BC) for service providers to participate in establishing a framework of Heritage Professionals, closing 5 February, and valued at £2M.
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (UK) doorstep’: Rebel alliance ready to put a halt to the ‘disneyfication’ of Edinburgh
Some residents of Edinburgh fear the city’s public spaces are being sacrificed to tourism, and The Guardian offers a UK-wide take on the challenges.
IHBC’s CPD boost… out of Context: Harlow and its civic society seeks exemplary ‘green town’ recognition – Any inspiration for you?
Harlow Civic Society believes that with investment, transport, infrastructure and jobs, it can become an exemplary green town, and while you can simply read more about these aspirations in the latest issue of Context, No 162, themed on New Towns, a big CPD opportunity is also on offer if you consider how its principles might inspire your work or understanding.
image: Context 162, p27, Tony Evans – No 4 Forebury Lane by Sheppard Robson, winner of the Residential Architectural Award 2018
A memorial to a lost village and an apple-shaped refreshment kiosk are two of the sites given a heritage listing in Wales in the past year.
Transforming Places Through Heritage is a £15million grant programme from the Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF), aimed at supporting charities and social enterprises to develop projects that are creating alternative uses for redundant or underused historic buildings in town centres with grants that have rolling deadlines (next deadline is 10 February 2020).
Projects benefitting from over £138 million of funding have the potential to create more than 7,000 jobs across Scotland, according to analysis of the Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.
One of London’s most famous music venues Koko Camden has been badly damaged in a blaze.
Historic England (HE) recognises that the heritage workforce does not reflect the diversity of society and supports a scheme to help to improve this through training placements to people with Black Asian or Minority Ethnic Heritage (BAME), so if you want to offer to host a placement in your organisation in summer 2020 let HE know by 31 January.
Ashley John-Baptiste has written a reflective piece on Council housing now posted by the BBC.
The Technical Panel of the IHBC is under full steam once again with John Edwards – IHBC Wales representative, trustee, and lead author on BS 7913 – as Panel Secretary, and is seeking suggestions on issues and priorities for its forward plans, to be sent to the IHBC’s Professional Services Officer Michael Netter at firstname.lastname@example.org for collation.
Bucket list the full Brighton experience! More looking ahead to #IHBCBrighton2020 and ‘OLD TOWNS: NEW FUTURES’ as city named as one of ‘5 of the best UK cities that you must put on your bucket list’
Be it tourist magnet London, the not-so-frequented Newcastle, or the capital of Scotland, there’s a slice of history that everyone can devour when in the UK, and Brighton – venue of the IHBC’s June 2020 Brighton School conference on ‘OLD TOWNS: NEW FUTURES’ – is up there with the best!
Give someone their fondest memories for 2020: IHBC Marsh Award nominations now open for ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’, closing 29/02/20
IHBC Marsh logo 2017 v3
MARSH 2017 Winner Ken Burley
MARSH 2017 Winner James Archer