The Construction Industry Council’s (CIC’s) ‘CIC Coronavirus Digest – Issue 8’ surveys the latest government advice on the coronavirus (COVID-19), with updates from the construction industry.
The Construction Leadership Council(CLC) writes:
The CLC letter to the Prime Minister was sent following the Industry Task Force meeting, this morning. In summary, the letter asks the Government to enact the following measures:
- Suspend PAYE and CIS tax due to HMRC in April and May for construction and consultancy firms and workers with no financial penalty;
- Defer/cancel Apprenticeship Levy payments for the duration of the crisis;
- Government to advise all public sector clients, regulated utilities, and firms in the private sector to expedite cash flow throughout the supply chain;
- Support the directors of micro-businesses, who currently fall between the support provided by the Job Retention Scheme and assistance for the self-employed;
- Direct all Government bodies to release all retention monies, which are estimated to total £4.5 billion across the supply chain; and
- Extend the £25k SME business continuity grants scheme to the construction sector.
CLC guidance note: Employment Schemes
The Construction Leadership Council has released a guidance note on employment schemes. It has been led by Hannah Vickers, CEO of ACE and a member of the BEIS/CLC Industry Task Force. The note gives up-to-date employment advice and includes a comprehensive FAQs list on construction specific queries. Please click here to see the CLC guidance note.
CITB refreshes Skills & Training Fund to support firms hit by COVID-19
As the impact of COVID-19 on the construction industry becomes ever more apparent, the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) is refreshing its Skills and Training Fund (STF) to provide more support for micro, small and medium sized businesses. Since its launch by CITB in 2015, the STF has awarded over £21.6m to over 4,800 micro and small companies (under 100 employees), allowing them to access funding to provide training. Now CITB is increasing the amount of funding available and widening the scope of eligible training, so that companies with 100-250 employees are also eligible for funding.
Support the fight against coronavirus
The Construction Leadership Council is in touch with NHS London Hospitals Trust to help the NHS with urgently needed PPE. A summary of the equipment required is as follows:
- FFP3 Respirator Masks
- Full Face Visors (disposable)
- Full Face Visors (reusable)
- Safety Goggles/Glasses
- Hand Sanitiser
- Full Body (Hazardous Material) Suits
- Logistics/Transport support
If you are able to provide some of these essential pieces of equipment, please get in touch with Graham Watts (email@example.com).
Unequal impact: Coronavirus (Covid-19) Inquiry
The Women and Equalities Committee is launching an inquiry: Unequal impact: Coronavirus (Covid-19) and the impact on people with protected characteristics. They want to hear about the different and disproportionate impact that the Coronavirus – and measures to tackle it – is having on people with protected characteristics under the Equality Act. Learn more about this on the NRAC website.
Guidance on mental health and wellbeing
Advice and information on how employees can look after their mental health and wellbeing during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
ACE webinars: Navigating COVID-19
- Procurement (02.04.20, 12.00pm): Sam Ulyatt and John Welch of Crown Commercial Service, part of the Cabinet Office explore the recent procurement policy notices and what they mean for the construction sector. Alasdair Reisner of CECA joins to explore how contractors can support the supply chain during the crisis.
- People in a Pandemic (07.04.20, 12.00pm): Exploring the HR and people issues raised by the crisis such as remote working, staff morale and more. Panellists TBA soon.
- Communicating in a Crisis (09.04.20, 1.30pm): With special guest Andy Walker, editor of Infrastructure Intelligence, we will explore the steps you need to take to communicate effectively externally, internally and with stakeholders and clients. Stuart Young, BEIS joins us to help answer any questions.
Find out more and replay previous episodes here.
Construction Workers Family Crisis Appeal
Lighthouse, The Construction Industry Charity, is launching a national appeal to everyone in construction to simply donate to a ‘Construction Workers Family Crisis Fund’.
COVID-19 Construction Industry Taskforce
An industry Task Force has been set up to work with BEIS and Government ‘to protect the current and future of the construction industry.’ Any members or recipients with information, data and/or ideas that may be helpful to the work of this task force please contact the CIC Chief Executive on firstname.lastname@example.org .