The latest issue of the IHBC’s membership journal Context is now out, reporting on ‘European Perspectives’ in conservation, and including the usual plethora of updates, reviews and opinion, alongside themed articles prefaced by IHBC 2018 School keynote speaker Prof Jukka Jokilehto’s review, ‘Concerning heritage’.
IHBC Director Seán O’Reilly said: ‘While also carrying the usual regular features such as book reviews, reports from the IHBC Chair and on membership and more, themed articles also include takes on Brexit as well as issues and strategies in conservation across countries!’
‘And as ever do let us know of any content that you might like to see or suggest, especially on topics that we know we need, such as architectural design in heritage contexts and settings.’
‘Also, we are now offering boxes of c.60 copies and more for free, for distribution at relevant events or by key user and stakeholder groups. This ensures that Context, as the product of the hard work of our Editorial Board, reaches as many prospective beneficiary groups as possible.’
‘If you think you can help us by distributing a box or two of a Context themed issue for free, we’ll see what we can do to help: just let Carla know the details at email@example.com’.
‘And if you have any suggestions for Context articles or other material contact Mike Taylor at: firstname.lastname@example.org’.
Context 157 articles include:
- Concerning heritage, Jukka Jokilehto
- Before and after Brexit, John Pendlebury and Loes Veldpaus
- Brexit and UK research into cultural heritage Ingval Maxwell
- Conservation in Germany, Michael Asselmeyer
- Harmonising heritage in the Nordic countries, Tanja Vahtikari
- Skills in partnership, Darren Barker
- Conserving Europeanness, Astrid Swenson
- Visby as a historic urban landscape, Elene Negussie
- Thatched properties and wood-burning stoves, Iain McCaig
- An extraordinary baroque miniature Jane Houlton
- Opening up at Covent Garden Barry McCormack, Mitesh Patel and Radu Enache
- Caring for war memorials, Clara Willett
- Royal Academy’s art of reconnection, Lyall Thow
- Notes from the chair, James Caird
- Director’s cut, Seán O’Reilly
- New members
- New member profile- Laurence Hayes
- Book reviews
- Vox pop – Achim Schröer
[Context] is published five times a year and is distributed to Institute members and to a range of other subscribers. Context informs readers about developments in professional practice and the management of the historic environment and provides a forum for discussing issues of professional concern….
Paper copies may be purchased as detailed here.
Reading Context helps IHBC members develop their skills across all of the IHBC’s Areas of Competence, and so is a critical baseline in addressing priorities in Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
To access Context:
- IHBC Members: See your postbox, if you don’t already have it by your desk or bed
- Non-members: Go to the Context Archive
- As ever, themed issues of Context also include more general conservation articles as well as news, book reviews and reports from IHBC’s officers.
If you have any suggestions for Context articles or other material contact Mike Taylor at: email@example.com
See information on Context’s future issues, and guidance for authors