IHBC CPD boost: Know your Section 278 agreements? See DBW on ‘Works to existing highways’

DBW bannerA recent posting on DBW explores how Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980 allows a developer to carry out works to the public highway, which is generally necessary where planning permission has been granted for a development that requires improvements to, or changes to, public highways.

DBW writes:

The agreement between the highway authority and the developer is called a Section 278 Agreement, and it may allow for items such as:

  • Roundabouts.
  • Priority junctions.
  • Junctions with traffic lights.
  • Right turn lanes.
  • Improved facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
  • Improvements to existing junctions.
  • Traffic calming measures.

The highway authority will be either the Secretary of State for Transport or the local highway authority.

Read more….

This entry was posted in IHBC NewsBlog. Bookmark the permalink.