Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- #IHBCVirtualSchool2020: Speaker bios & interim CPD support in place for ‘OLD TOWNS | NEW FUTURES’… from a Global Pandemic, 19 June, from just £15+VAT 08/05/2020
- IHBC ‘Virtual MATEs’: IHBC’s digital membership application support pilot 13/05, pm– limited places available 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 furlough update on your comms: Update your NewsBlog email alert contacts etc. 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s new ‘CPD Circular’ now out: Supporting relevant and accessible CPD from the IHBC, Recognised CPD Providers, partners and more! 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 46: Guidance for local government, includes ‘planning and building safety’ 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 47: … impact on markets, geopolitics and real estate, via RICS 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 48: Local Authority (coronavirus) regulations for Wales 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 49: Council of Europe recommendations on Citizens’ Engagement under Covid-19 restrictions, and the TCI’s take 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 50: HE’s contacts update 08/05/2020
- IHBC’s HESPR pick this week from £30M+ costed works: National body seeks asset advisers etc., closing 9/06, value £30M 08/05/2020
- New measures to protect UK high streets from aggressive rent collection and closure 08/05/2020
- NTS sets up it’s own ‘heritage lottery’ fund 08/05/2020
- Five years on from the earthquake in Bhaktapur, Nepal, heritage-led recovery is uniting community 08/05/2020
- Shape our future! Share, promote, like and celebrate IHBC’s 2020 Virtual School – ‘OLD TOWNS | NEW FUTURES’… from a Global Pandemic – across your networks 05/05/2020
- IHBC ‘Members with benefits’: 15% off ‘Building Conservation’ courses from CIOB Academy’s ‘Online classroom’ – 2/3 June, 2/7 July 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 40: NI Environment Link ‘Impact Survey Report’ 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 41: ONS blogs on coronavirus impacts 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 42: Construction industry Coronavirus task force convened 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 43: Coping during COVID-19 – A checklist for construction projects 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 44: Free backgrounds for Virtual meetings from Studio Ghibli 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 45: THA’s update on Heritage Chat 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week, from REA, on 50 years of Earth Day 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Shock and dismay as historic monument vandalised with ‘stay at home’ message 05/05/2020
- IHBC CPD boost: Social Media & engaging with online communities, from the TCI 05/05/2020
- IHBC’s CPD Boost: Explore (and assist) DBW’s development of construction industry acronyms 05/05/2020
Monthly Archives: March 2020
FINAL CHANCE – IHBC Marsh Award closes TONIGHT: Nominate ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’ for £500 cash awards and free IHBC Annual School places
The IHBC’s Marsh Awards close tonight so please take a few minutes to enter your retired colleagues and/or successful learners for their chance of £500 cash awards and a free place at the IHBC’s Annual School. IHBC President Mike Brown is … Continue reading
IHBC’s Coronavirus-friendly CPD boost… out of Context: Saving new town heritage and beyond, with Google, DBW and IHBC too1
In the in the recent issue of Context, No 162, devoted to the heritage of New Towns Bob Colenutt and Sabine Coady Schaebitz make the case for saving new town heritage, arguing that protecting the extraordinary heritage of new towns … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Land girls hostel in Cheshire, – one of few surviving – listed to mark women’s war work
One of the last remaining Women’s Land Army (WLA) hostels in Cheshire has been given Grade II listed status for being ‘vitally important’ in recognising women’s wartime efforts feeding Britain, reports Cheshire Live.
Perhaps one of the greatest challenges of consulting internationally is that of running a broad consultation which spans more than one country or region and is simultaneously accessible on a local level, so The Consultation Institute (TCI) asks if a … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: HE considering merit of Mond House becoming a listed building at Winnington Works
Northwich’s Mond House could be saved from demolition as assessments on whether it should be classed as a listed building begin at Historic England (HE), writes The Northwick Guardian.
Design, Heritage and Biodiversity intertwine as new schemes in Brighton need ‘swift bricks’ for nesting birds to get planning
Planning rules passed by Brighton and Hove council which come into force next month and will require new developments to contain so-called ’swift bricks’ to encourage nesting birds.
Landscape-scale conservation to help tackle climate change and benefit more than 2.5 million visitors as, recognising the increasing need for a bigger, better and more joined-up approach to nature conservation, seven leading partners have come together to help protect wildlife … Continue reading
Government UK notes 16 out of 22 Rosewell recommendations implemented, as the Planning Inspectorate publishes its updated Action Plan. image: Open Government Licence v3.0
City Hall has overruled Southwark Council to approve a £500m development on Bermondsey’s Biscuit Factory despite concern over a ‘shortfall’ of social housing as the plans, initially thrown out by Southwark’s planning committee over a lack of affordable homes, will … Continue reading
After years of historical and archaeological detective work, nine lost statues of the ‘Muses’ – goddesses of the creative arts and poetry – have been recreated at the National Trust’s world-famous gardens at Stowe in Buckinghamshire.
The IHBC’s Chair David McDonald has offered the following interim statement on our plans and operations, in advance of determinations by our trustees who will meet (online) next Thursday to agree a forward strategy across our suite of current plans.
LAST CHANCE – IHBC Marsh Award closes on Tuesday 31st March: Nominate ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’ for £500 cash awards and free IHBC Annual School places
The IHBC’s Marsh Awards closing date has been extended to Tuesday March 31, so please take a few minutes to enter your retired colleagues and/or successful learners for their chance of £500 cash awards and a free place at the IHBC’s … Continue reading
On 11 March 2020, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, presented his budget to parliament and, coming in the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak, it offered a package of measures to support the economy, all reviewed below via Designing … Continue reading
The Construction Industry Council’s (CIC’s) ‘CIC Coronavirus Digest – Issue 5’ surveys the latest government advice on the coronavirus (COVID-19) and updates from the construction industry, with selections from the Digest’s Issue 3 for further reference. image: for illustration purposes … Continue reading
In PBCToday, Nigel Morris, tax director at MHA MacIntyre Hudson explains how employers can access the Job Retention Scheme (JRS) to continue paying 80% of the salary for employees. image: for illustration purposes only
IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 4: Advise and updates collated from the heritage sector, including data and policy to care and cleaning
Some organisations with conservation links have been collating resources on COVID-19 impacts, some of which inevitably will be time sensitive, including Built Environment Forum Scotland (BEFS), Historic Environment Forum, The Heritage Alliance (THA), and Historic England, on cleaning surfaces.
IHBC’s HESPR pick, from £165K+ costed opportunities: Scottish Council seeks team for CARS, closing 02/04, no value stated
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this week … Continue reading
The Scottish Government has published ‘A Culture Strategy for Scotland’ which shows how important culture is to Scotland’s prosperity and sets the future direction for supporting culture in Scotland.
England’s Housing Minister: Speech to the Planning Inspectorate, on good and bad design, with a heritage handle
England’s Housing Minister Christopher Pincher made a speech at the Planning Inspectorate Annual Training Event, name-checking history, design, old buildings and more. image: Open Government Licence v3.0
Welsh Government Consultation ‘Changes to listed building consent applications’ launched, closing 08/06
A Welsh Government consultation has been launched on ‘Changes to listed building consent applications: Applications for listed building consent by local authorities’, closing 8 June.
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) has published a new procedure to make adjudication affordable for low value disputes.
LAST CHANCE (NEARLY) – IHBC Marsh Award extended to end March: Nominate ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’ for £500 cash awards and free IHBC Annual School places, closing 31 March
The IHBC’s Marsh Awards closing date has been extended to March 31, so please take a few minutes to enter your retired colleagues and/or successful learners for their chance of £500 cash awards and a free place at the IHBC’s Annual School.
Don’t forget IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2020: Win £500 and a free place on IHBC’s 2021 Aberdeen School, simply submit your coursework online – closing 31 July 2020!
The IHBC’s celebrated annual Gus Astley Student Award will close on 31 July 2020, so if you have relevant coursework from history and theory to practice or enhancement, from ANY UK taught course – under-graduate or post-graduate, from 2019 OR … Continue reading
IHBC’s support for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) includes our online registration for anyone – or any organisation – seeking our free recognition service and listing for CPD providers.
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Restoration plan for historic Lowestoft town hall site, thanks to HE report
A creative hub has been proposed as part of a scheme to revitalise a historic town hall site that has been empty for almost five years, as options for the future development of Lowestoft Town Hall are being explored following … Continue reading