Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus: Interim update from the IHBC, with a message from our Chair 27/03/2020
- LAST CHANCE – IHBC Marsh Award closes on Tuesday 31st March: Nominate ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’ for £500 cash awards and free IHBC Annual School places 27/03/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 1: Budget and COVID 19, via DBW 27/03/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 2: CIC’s Coronavirus Digest review and survey (@27/03/20) 27/03/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 3: ‘A guide to the coronavirus Job Retention Scheme’, from PBCToday 27/03/2020
- IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 4: Advise and updates collated from the heritage sector, including data and policy to care and cleaning 27/03/2020
- IHBC’s HESPR pick, from £165K+ costed opportunities: Scottish Council seeks team for CARS, closing 02/04, no value stated 27/03/2020
- A Culture Strategy for Scotland issued 27/03/2020
- England’s Housing Minister: Speech to the Planning Inspectorate, on good and bad design, with a heritage handle 27/03/2020
- Welsh Government Consultation ‘Changes to listed building consent applications’ launched, closing 08/06 27/03/2020
- CIC publishes new adjudication procedure: ‘affordable adjudication for low value disputes’ 27/03/2020
- LAST CHANCE (NEARLY) – IHBC Marsh Award extended to end March: Nominate ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’ for £500 cash awards and free IHBC Annual School places, closing 31 March 24/03/2020
- Don’t forget IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2020: Win £500 and a free place on IHBC’s 2021 Aberdeen School, simply submit your coursework online – closing 31 July 2020! 24/03/2020
- IHBC online registration for ‘Recognised CPD Providers’: Apply online for registration, for free! 24/03/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Restoration plan for historic Lowestoft town hall site, thanks to HE report 24/03/2020
- National Lottery Heritage Fund seeks COVID-19 impact survey responses 24/03/2020
- CIC Launches Roadmap for Change at Futurebuild 24/03/2020
- See THA on the 2020 Budget 24/03/2020
- London Historic Buildings Trust’s issues first online newsletter 24/03/2020
- HE consultation on Advice Note 4: Tall Buildings, closing 26/04 24/03/2020
- Brick Awards 2020 – celebrating ‘the world’s greatest brick architecture and craftsmanship’ – closes early May 24/03/2020
- British Council: New Cultural Protection funding announced for 2020-2021 24/03/2020
- IHBC’s IMHO signpost: Who decides which parts of Manchester’s heritage get saved from the bulldozer? 24/03/2020
- New Context out now! Ireland under the scope… from the evolving CO to national climate change planning, and urban house museum-making to architects in conservation 20/03/2020
- Don’t forget – IHBC Marsh Award extended to end March: Nominate ‘retired IHBC members’ and/or ‘successful learners’ for £500 cash awards and free IHBC Annual School places, closing 31 March 20/03/2020
Monthly Archives: October 2019
IHBC’s latest membership ELetter update now online – ‘Looking ahead: Something old… but much more new’
The new IHBC membership ELetter, from end-September 2019, has been posted online, offering members updates on recent meetings of – and reports to – IHBC trustees.
Inspire Heritage Services Ltd welcomed as the newest practice on IHBC’s HESPR register of ‘service providers working to the IHBC’s standards’
Inspire Heritage Services Ltd has become the latest company to be included on theIHBC’s conservation and heritage services ‘HESPR’ quality assurance listing, joining more than 40 heritage businesses that enjoy benefits and support services from across the IHBC’s commercial conservation … Continue reading
IHBC’s Heritage from the doorstep: ‘Someone is going to be killed’ – nearly 180 reports of falling masonry from Edinburgh’s tenements
A SPECIAL investigation by the Edinburgh Evening News has revealed the scale of the capital’s crumbling tenements, asffigures obtained from the city council show reports of falling masonry to have risen more than five-fold in ten years.
An important North Devon grade II* listed medieval farmhouse building, Bunksland Farmhouse in East Anstey, has been saved from ruin following urgent works by North Devon Council. image: DevonLive website
IHBC’s CPD boost … out of Context: On ‘Conserve-as-found’ – how, when and why, in the Jewellery Quarter?
The article by Nick Hill in the recent themed Context issue on Building Services presents a fascinating case study of the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, examining factories where the ‘conserve-as-found’ approach was used as a technique to retain the character … Continue reading
Mike Brown MVO has been announced as the chair of the shadow Delivery Authority Board, which will oversee the execution of the Palace of Westminster restoration and renewal. image: Parliamentary copyright images are reproduced with the permission of Parliament
The Heritage Alliance (THA) is calling for greater recognition and funding to support the historic places and objects that underpin creative and cultural activities, challenging the stereotype of heritage as ‘a decorative incidental backdrop to contemporary creative work’.
Centre for London publication ‘Act Local: Empowering London’s Neighbourhoods’ examines the role of neighbourhoods in shaping the city, strengthening community and enhancing public services.
Making Scotland’s homes more energy efficient: Tackling climate change locally with £450K to help LAs decarbonise
Funding of £450,000 to support Local Authorities (LAs) decarbonise heat and improve energy efficiency has been made available by the Scottish Government.
Eight of the 10 most deprived neighbourhoods in England are in Blackpool, according to new statistics, the BBC has reported.
Coastal communities are to benefit from £7.5 million of revenue generated from the Scottish Crown Estate’s marine assets in the first year of devolved management as 26 local authorities will receive an allocation from the net revenue of the Scottish … Continue reading
IHBC’s next Council+ update, London, 28 Nov – ‘CPD for interdisciplinary practitioners: Availability and planning, opportunities and assessment’ – Apply now (IHBC CPD certified; numbers restricted; expenses covered)
IHBC’s Council+ (C+) meetings offer members of any category or level of knowledge the chance to explore the institute’s work and contribute to its development, while the 28 November C+ in London offers a unique opportunity to develop the IHBC’s … Continue reading
IHBC welcomes MHCLG launch of the ‘most ambitious heritage preservation campaign for 40 years’, calling for investment in local conservation services to secure and sustain benefits
IHBC Chair David McDonald has welcomed the announcement that ‘communities across England are being encouraged to nominate heritage assets that ‘make their community what it is’, as a new £700,000 fund is set up to get ‘modern monuments men and … Continue reading
Serious about your career? Stay ‘in the know’ with IHBC’s ‘Jobs etc’ review posts from RIBA to Fife, for inspectors, surveyors and more!
Helping conservation careers and heritage employers across the UK, the IHBC regularly updates NewsBlog readers about the diverse career opportunities posted on our ‘IHBC Jobs etc’ service, while recent offerings extend from the RIBA’s Specialist Registrar, and posts with the … Continue reading
More IHBC ‘benefits for members’: 10% reduction from West Dean College, including on forthcoming ‘Masonry ruins’ course and its ‘ruinette’ opportunity!
IHBC members are being offered a 10% discount on tuition from West Dean College’s ‘Building Conservation Masterclass’ series, which aims to ‘focus more attention on sustainable and environmentally sensitive approaches’, with the offer applicable to new bookings and to include … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £3.8M+ costed opportunities this week: National cultural lead seeks ‘Cultural & Heritage Valuation Studies’, closing 7/11, valued £25-50K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this week … Continue reading
IHBC’s Heritage from the doorstep: Edinburgh Marina developers blast council for using public money to fight development appeal
Council chiefs have been blasted by developers for using public money to take the Scottish Government to court to overturn a successful planning appeal.
IHBC’s CPD boost… out of Context: On Leicester’s hidden engineering – and what lies beneath your streets?
The recent themed Context issue on ‘Building Services’ features a case study of Leicester, looking at the impact of civil engineering on the built environment as a result of Victorian public health measures, where Kent Woods presents a lessons and … Continue reading
Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) has announced that five transformational projects along the Great British Coast have been awarded over £10 million from the government’s Coastal Communities Fund. image: Open Government Licence v3.0
Oxford City Council has warned that the city could lose out on hundreds of new council houses due to changes in the national framework which guides planning policy.
T Levels, including a course on cultural heritage and visitor attractions, are coming in September 2020
T Levels are new courses coming in September 2020, which will follow GCSEs and will be equivalent to 3 A Levels. These 2-year courses have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so that the content meets the needs … Continue reading
The Theatres Trust has put together a series of advice notes and will be adding more to this section in the coming months. image: Theatres Trust
Artist Eleanor Crow’s watercolours celebrating the beauty of London’s classic shopfronts have been on display recently in the capital, and are published by Spitalfields Life Books in collaboration with Batsford Books. Read more….
IHBC launches 2020 Brighton Annual School sponsorship brochure: More looking ahead to #IHBCBrighton2020, with special opportunities to shine in Brighton in 2020!
The IHBC has launched its sponsorship promotion brochure for the forthcoming 2020 Brighton Annual School, offering new opportunities to shine in Brighton in June next year as we look ahead to #IHBCBrighton2020.
Cream teas, quaint streets and stylish shops have made Harrogate one of the most successful and popular shopping destinations in the north of England but there are now gaps on its High Street like never before, as the BBC News … Continue reading