Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC’s new Guidance Notes launched at Nottingham’s 2019 School Spotlights: on ‘Retrofitting’ and on climate change ‘Sources’… and now also on School video! 16/07/2019
- BOOKING OPEN – IHBC North West Branch Day Conference: ‘Improving Accessibility – Overcoming the Barriers to Heritage’, 10th October 2019, Liverpool 16/07/2019
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Plan to protect Plymouth’s post-war buildings from developers 16/07/2019
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Plans to build homes at Kersey Mill recommended for refusal by parish council 16/07/2019
- IHBC CPD boost from DBW: Invitation to Tender for construction contracts 16/07/2019
- MJ Achievement Awards names Waltham Forest Local Authority of the Year 2019 16/07/2019
- HES online survey of ‘Our Place in Time’ (OPIT): Closes 2 August 16/07/2019
- CIC appoints Stephen Hodder MBE as its new Chair 16/07/2019
- New partnership for Orkney’s World Heritage Site 16/07/2019
- NLA awards 2019 include Pitzhanger Manor and Gallery for Conservation & Retrofit 16/07/2019
- Race against devastation: How wartime photographers dodged Nazi bombing to record historic buildings 16/07/2019
- IHBC’s 2019 Nottingham Annual School opens and closes, as records break and spotlights beam 12/07/2019
- Serious about your career? Stay ‘in the know’ with IHBC’s latest ‘Jobs etc.’ review, as posts range from charity CEs and finance administrators to building inspectors, surveyors and more! 12/07/2019
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £360M+ costed opportunities this week: Council seeks team for fee proposal for Tonedale Mill Repairs Notice, closing 24/07, value £50K 12/07/2019
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Officials remove three iconic Southport (Merseyside) buildings from their ‘at risk’ register 12/07/2019
- Glasgow’s Egyptian Halls’ owner ordered to make urgent repairs 12/07/2019
- Boost for Scotland/Northern Powerhouse ‘Borderlands’ as £394.5M ‘Growth Deal’ signed 12/07/2019
- New UK parliamentary petition to Zero-rate VAT on deep retrofit/eco-refurbishment building works on all homes, now open, with deadline 8 January 2020 12/07/2019
- Winners in 2019 Street Design Awards range from Woking’s Muslim War Cemetery Peace Garden to innovative lighting in Brighton 12/07/2019
- Scotland’s ‘My Place Mentoring’ programme builds skills and capacity for community groups 12/07/2019
- England’s Northern Powerhouse lacks joined-up planning, RTPI warns 12/07/2019
- IHBC’s 2019 AGM approves new ‘Governance Proposals’; elects new Chair – David McDonald – and Vice Chair – Lone le Vay, among others, and says au revoir to departing officers 09/07/2019
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £800K+ costed opportunities last week: Planning Inspectorate seeks ‘Non Salaried Inspectors’, closing 01/09,valued £99K 09/07/2019
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (farmer’s) doorstep’: NFU and HE give drone to Wiltshire Police 09/07/2019
- England’s new High Streets Task Force will help revitalise high streets and town centres 09/07/2019
Daily Archives: 22/06/2019
Still time to apply for the role of IHBC’s new ‘Professional Development (PD) Officer – closes 8 July!
REMINDER: This sound like you? Then maybe you could be IHBC’s new ‘Professional Development (PD) Officer –
IHBC’s 2019 Nottingham School booking will close soon, so book ASAP if you want to hear Keynote Dr Zaki Aslan, conservation architect and Director of the ICCROM’s Regional Conservation Centre in Sharjah, as well as many others, while if you … Continue reading
IHBC update: Interested in the politics and presumptions around heritage change? See the chat from the floor on the Parliamentary Buildings (Restoration and Renewal) Bill
The Report and 3rd Reading of The Parliamentary Buildings (Restoration and Renewal) Bill 2017-19 in the House of Commons took place on 19 June, and among other threads was Tim Loughton MP’s unsuccessful proposal (Amendment 5) to include heritage in … Continue reading
IHBC’s #IHBCNottingham2019, climate and ‘managed retreat’ in Wales, via CNN: ‘UK village considers the unfathomable: tearing itself down before nature does’.
US news agency CNN has explored how a UK local council says that, because of rising sea levels, the village of Fairbourne will be flooded as the village is in the midst of ‘a very slow emergency’ for which plans … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £700M+ costed opportunities this week: Renfrewshire Council seeks team for works in two areas in Paisley’s town centre, closing 15/07, valued £420K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick for NewsBlog readers this week features a call from Renfrewshire Council which … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (business) doorstep’: Historic building that exported lace around the world restored to its former glory
BusinessLive celebrated the restoration of the Birkin Building in Nottingham’s Lace Market, restoring one of Nottingham’s most cherished Victorian buildings, one designed by Thomas Chamber Hine for the Birkin family in 1855.
Conservation cases update from Scotland’s Garden and Landscape Heritage: Loudon Castle to New Lanark and Aberdeen
Scotland’s Garden and Landscape Heritage (SGLH) reports that 2019 has seen the culmination of several long-running conservation cases, including the outcomes of appeals for a large-scale tourism, leisure and housing development at Loudoun Castle; the quarry extensions at New Lanark, … Continue reading
There are around 40,300 church buildings in the UK open to the public and being used for worship, and so ‘more churches than pubs’, says the National Churches Trust (NCT)! image: Peter Badcock
Built Environment Forum Scotland (BEFS) reports that the Scottish Government has published a version of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997 that shows how it would look if current amendments to the Planning (Scotland) Bill were accepted.
A Ramboll study indicates that rental yield and property values are underrated, as developers and investors underestimate the value of producing sustainable buildings.
The Heritage Alliance (THA) has published its new fiscal manifesto ‘Backing the Bedrock‘ which sets out five heritage fiscal and funding priorities for 2019.