Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- REMINDER – IHBC Student Awards update: Only 2 weeks left to win £500 and a free place in IHBC’s 2019 Nottingham School! IHBC Gus Astley Student Award closes 31 July… so ‘please just send us your coursework, online and on time’! 21/07/2018
- IHBC welcomes Iceni Projects to the HESPR register as scheme heads towards 40 members, of all sizes 21/07/2018
- IHBC HESPR’s top pick this week from £11.4M+ costed work: Albanian-American Development Foundation (AADF) sought ‘international experts’ for Butrint WHS/National Park; Opportunity closed, ceiling $150,000 21/07/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Millions of trees to be planted along route of HS2 high speed railway 21/07/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage across the doorstep’: On Purcell-led ‘Open Treasure’ project at Durham Cathedral winning 3 RIBA awards 21/07/2018
- IHBC ‘CPD boost’ from a Scottish Blog: Rediscovering the story of Bannockburn House, Stirling 21/07/2018
- Guardian: Mackintosh Glasgow School of Art building will be rebuilt 21/07/2018
- Stronger powers for councils to tackle empty homes in England 21/07/2018
- Welsh Government consultation on subordinate legislation: Ends 28/09 21/07/2018
- Sellafield’s biggest chimney chopped down to size 21/07/2018
- Boater accidentally drains Kennet and Avon Canal 21/07/2018
- IHBC 2018 Belfast School reflections: Spotlight on IHBC’s joint Conservation Professional Practice Principles update – Comments sought by September 17/07/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage IMHO’, from the Spectator: ‘The problem with British mosques’ 17/07/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Regeneration of Bristol’s iconic ‘Generator Building’ given go-ahead by Council 17/07/2018
- Ten-year transformation of Scottish village wins top UK planning award 17/07/2018
- Planning Inspectorate publishes 2017/18 Annual Report 17/07/2018
- Expressions of interest from potential candidates sought for the role of BEFS Chair 17/07/2018
- Defra consults on ‘Environmental Principles and Governance Bill’: Closing 2 August 17/07/2018
- ICOMOS Annual Report for 2017 now published 17/07/2018
- Heatwave vital in discovery of a possible henge, or circular enclosure, at the Brú na Bóinne site 17/07/2018
- IHBC’s sixth NewsBlog Branches Update: Explore Branch CPD events across the UK 13/07/2018
- IHBC’s latest ‘Jobs etc’ skills review: From private to public sector posts (and both) 13/07/2018
- IHBC welcomes RSK to HESPR, as IHBC’s unique interdisciplinary quality assurance service now nears 40 13/07/2018
- IHBC HESPR’s top NewsBlog pick from £450K of costed work this week: Herefordshire Council seeks consultant for city design guide, closing 30/07, value £80k 13/07/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: ‘Norwich deserves better’ – HE warns it will fight Anglia Square development 13/07/2018
Daily Archives: 07/07/2018
The IHBC’s North West Branch has launched its Day Conference for 2018, on ‘The Work of Faith’, which will include local tours of sites, and takes place on 18 October in the Liverpool Medical Institution.
IHBC’s International Strategy moves forward: ‘Please let us know of any links, suggestions or proposals’!
The IHBC’s burgeoning ‘International strategy’ is evolving – shaped and informed by wide-ranging contributions from members and colleagues – so if you have any thoughts, let us know! IHBC Council+ discusses ‘International strategy’
IHBC update: ‘Urgent support needed in bid for c.50 doctoral studies on timber & construction – Responses to Bangor University before 15 July’
A university consortium bid, relating to timber in construction, aims to provide EngD and PhD places for 50 students starting over the next 5 years, part funded by EPSRC, and urgently needs letters from SME’s demonstrating need, so IHBC members … Continue reading
IHBC HESPR’s top pick this week from £600K costed work: Durham CC seeks Heritage Consultant for Seaham Round 2 TH, closing 20/07, value £36k
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers members weekly ‘News and Tender Alert’ emails, with the IHBC Director’s top pick for NewsBlog readers this week featuring the call from Durham City … Continue reading
Aberdeen’s Press and Journal has updated readers on construction commencing on a major project to breathe new life into what’s thought to be the only purpose-built Masonic lodge in Scotland.
Almost 80% of builders and home owners are calling on the Government to introduce a licensing scheme for the UK construction industry to stamp out rogue traders once and for all, according to the Federation of Master Builders (FMB).
Government is consulting on the ‘Policy Directions’ for The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) – the largest dedicated funder of the UK’s heritage – ‘which are being revised following a recommendation in the Tailored Review of the HLF carried out in … Continue reading
‘Building More, Building Beautiful’ report calls for more ‘traditional’ design and style, because ‘Traditional beauty can overcome Nimbyism’
Policy Exchange – a UK think tank – has published a new report ‘Building More, Building Beautiful’, co-authored by conservative philosopher Sir Roger Scruton and former Labour Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales, arguing that ‘design and style can unlock … Continue reading
Public attitudes to house building: findings from the British Social Attitudes survey 2017 is a report from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) on public attitudes to house building based on questions from the British Social Attitudes … Continue reading
Arts Minister Michael Ellis has launched a £20 million fund for culture, heritage and the creative industries to benefit towns and cities across England. Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
2017 Sir John Betjeman Award goes to Guild Chapel of the Holy Cross, Stratford upon Avon: Wall painting conservation
The Death Reawakened Project to research and conserve wall paintings at the Guild Chapel of the Holy Cross in Stratford upon Avon is the winner of the SPAB’s 2017 Sir John Betjeman Award. image SPAB website