Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC’s 2020 Brighton School – BOOKING NOW OPEN: Book now for low-cost ‘early-bird’ rates and make #IHBCBrighton2020 your CPD learning hub for 2020, with ‘Old Towns : New Futures’ 25/02/2020
- IHBC Marsh Award nominations – closing date extended to 30 March: Celebrate your local ‘retired members’ and ‘successful learners’ with £500 cash prizes and 2020 Brighton School places! 25/02/2020
- Thinking about IHBC’s Brighton 2020 School theme? Well, ‘welcome to a Welsh ghost town’, small high streets with ‘a typical problem’, from Walesonline 25/02/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Historic derelict Derbyshire GII* railway station to be saved 25/02/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Council explores possibility of Birnbeck Pier purchase with CPO 25/02/2020
- IHBC’s view to County Down: Knock Iveagh wind turbine challenge ‘fatally undermined’ 25/02/2020
- BEFS reports on ‘Why Flats Fall Down – Navigating shared responsibilities for their repair and maintenance’ 25/02/2020
- Bristol declares ecological emergency over loss of wildlife 25/02/2020
- Aberdeen City Council tests water on multi-million pound property sell-off 25/02/2020
- £10M Urban Tree Challenge Fund: Thousands of trees to be planted in England’s towns and cities 25/02/2020
- TV advertisement plaques inappropriate on listed buildings 25/02/2020
- Second preview of IHBC’s Brighton Day School, 19 June: ‘Economics’ insights, from Paul McTernan (SLR, regeneration economics) and Adala Leeson (HE, funding economics)… & even more Spotlights 21/02/2020
- More Ramsgate signpost to IHBC’s 2020 Brighton School: A bookish background to the IHBC SE Branch Ramsgate, HAZ and AGM Day (and Brighton 2020 ‘pre-School’), March 13 21/02/2020
- Deadline in 8 days for IHBC Marsh Awards for 2020 21/02/2020
- Some light preparation for #IHBCBrighton2020, a Scotland Blog on some shops through the centuries! 21/02/2020
- IHBC’s HESPR pick, from £420K+ costed opportunities: DC seeks Landscape Character Assessment, 11/03 21/02/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Decision to be made on £3m restoration of Crystal Palace Park Subway 21/02/2020
- Improved Countryside Stewardship scheme opens for 2021 agreements 21/02/2020
- Half of councils unsure of their carbon footprint: ECA 21/02/2020
- The Conservation Hierarchy framework: Biodiversity Net Gain through UK construction projects 21/02/2020
- Tony Burton CBE appointed as Interim Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund 21/02/2020
- HE’s ‘Heritage -The Foundation for Success – Modern Infrastructure and the Historic Environment’ now out 21/02/2020
- HS2 Ltd seeks ‘Expressions of Interest’ for salvage of ‘historic building materials’ 21/02/2020
- IHBC 2020 AGM Brighton 19 June: Trustee nominations open till 20 April 18/02/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: HE ‘gives Lutterell Hall GII listed status’ 18/02/2020
Monthly Archives: January 2018
Looking for work? Book your promotional opportunities at the IHBC’s 2018 School: Belfast 21-23 June – #Europeforculture
Promote your business, service or operations at the IHBC’s 2018 School in Belfast – from June 21-23, and exploring ‘Our Shared Heritage’ in this European Year of Cultural Heritage – choosing from a variety of promotional opportunities on offer to … Continue reading
IHBC Branches can celebrate retired members who volunteer their time and skills in good causes by nominating them for the IHBC’s ‘Marsh Award for Community Contribution’ before 28 February, with £500 and a Full School place for the winner!
IHBC CPD spotlight: Cladglobal’s feature article on Peter Zumthor, Swiss architect and former conservation adviser
IHBC members may be especially interested in the 2017 feature article in Cladglobal on the role of emotions in the work of award winning Swiss Architect Peter Zumthor, whose first job was as a building and planning consultant and architectural … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Cadw to have final say on Tudno Castle Hotel after planning committee approve demolition
Cadw is to have the final say on the future of Tudno Castle Hotel which, according to The North Wales Pioneer, is one step away from complete demolition as the planning committee approve demolition of the listed former Llandudno Hotel. … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Former Victorian public baths to be transformed into new Bristol swimming pool
The Bristol Post has explored how Jacob’s Wells Baths, a historic bathhouse in Bristol, has been given a new lease of life after plans to reopen as a swimming pool and leisure facility were approved and it will reopen in … Continue reading
As part of the Scottish Government’s ‘Making Places Initiative’, 19 projects in Scotland will receive funding to bring people together to agree priorities for their area and shape future planning and design. image Architecture & Design Scotland website
Milton Keynes Council has launched its New Town Heritage Register to identify, bring together and celebrate local heritage. image Milton Keynes Council
A new Local Government Association(LGA) briefing provides a summary of Government’s proposal to increase certain permitted development rights and highlights key issues and potential impact of the changes.
A panel of experts has been established to review the gap between number of planning permissions being granted and those built in areas of high demand.
The UK Space Agency is joining forces with partners across government and industry to give thousands of young people inspiring experiences of engineering as part of a year-long campaign to tackle the engineering skills gap and widen the pool of … Continue reading
IHBC’s new New Year’s resolution for you: Use our free membership training to help your staff and your services – look at EDP!
The IHBC’s popular and free MATE seminars – our ‘Membership Application Training Events’, that support CPD-linked applications for IHBC accreditation – have taken another step forward in the private sector as IHBC officers Kate Kendall and Fiona Newton offered staff … Continue reading
DBW features IHBC’s ‘bold move to put conservation at the forefront of digital collaboration’, passing a century of articles on Conservation Wiki
IHBC partner information service Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW), has featured IHBC passing a century of articles on our Conservation Wiki service, circulating the news on email updates to its c.7500+ registered users from the construction and development sectors.
IHBC HESPR’s top pick from c.£2M+ costed work this week: …Historic England seeks support on key 2018 programme, including ‘contested heritage’: closing 31/01
The IHBC’s heritage business list, HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alert’ emails, with costed opportunities worth more than £2M this week, while the IHBC Director’s current top pick … Continue reading
IHBC’s CPD in Context: Check out Rob Cowan’s ‘Glossary of paving’ extracts from the Dictionary of Urbanism in issue 152
IHBC turns the spotlight on our Context Editor Rob Cowan’s ‘Glossary of paving’ feature in the most recent edition of the IHBC’s membership journal, themed around traditional ‘floorscapes’. Cobbles in Islington, London (photo Rob Cowan)
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Historic formerly listed footbridge at St Austell Railway Station will be removed
Cornwall Live has reported on how the station in St Austell was opened in May 1859 as part of the Cornwall railway, but residents have now lost their fight to protect one of Cornwall’s oldest railway station footbridges.
The Campaign to Protect Rural England(CPRE) has called for funding for farming that will help stem the loss of smaller farms and the diversity in food and landscape they provide. image CPRE website
Matt Hancock, England’s new Culture Secretary, has pledged that he would ‘fight to protect and promote’ the charities sector, at the Charity Commission’s recent annual public meeting in London. Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
Communications agency ‘Built Environment Communications Group’ (becg) has launched new BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnicities) and LGBT+ initiatives.
The SPAB’s advice line is a free and confidential service open to anyone with a technical enquiry relating to old buildings. Our helpline advisors are qualified building surveyors and architects who answer over 1 000 calls a year from building … Continue reading
An Elizabethan bridge that features in Thomas Hardy’s novel Tess of the D’Urbervilles has partially collapsed and been washed away. image BBC website
Sky plans to make all its channels and content available online, giving customers the option of doing away with a satellite dish.
IHBC 2018 Belfast School: Bursary web guidance launched –5 Full Residential, and 11 Day School places available for those most in need so plan early – delegate booking opens February
Opening webpages for the IHBC’s 2018 School in Belfast – on June 21-23, exploring ‘Our Shared Heritage’ – have been launched, and now include the Bursaries applications advice page, guiding applicants on how best to shape and make their applications … Continue reading
IHBC Chair features on DBW’s 7500 user emails ‘Towns and cities in history’ – From 1961, from Context 150
Approaches to ‘Cities in History’ are reviewed by IHBC Chair James Caird in the IHBC’s membership journal Context, issue 150, themed on ‘Conservation and Urbanism’, while the article has featured on email updates to the c.7500+ registered users by our … Continue reading
David Harrison, in an article about floors of the great medieval churches explores how mosaics, patterned tiles, stone paving and commemorative stones are among the treasures that can be found underfoot in Britain’s great churches, and need to be fully … Continue reading
The Times and Star reports on how a Cockermouth group is welcoming plans to set up a panel to assess which buildings should be included on a local heritage list.