Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC 2019 Student Awards judge announced: Ben Cowell, Historic Houses DG, to select the Gus Astley Student Awards for 2020 Brighton School presentations… #IHBCBrighton2020 18/10/2019
- Malcolm Payne Group welcomed as new practice on IHBC’s HESPR register of ‘service providers working to the IHBC’s standards’ 18/10/2019
- REMINDER PLACES STILL AVAILABLE at the Scottish Listed Property Show – FREE places for members! 18/10/2019
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £142K+ costed opportunities this week: Scottish THI seeks ‘creative(s)’ in community engagement, closing 28/10 18/10/2019
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the Doorstep’: Banksy graffiti taken off GII listed Yorkshire bridge facing dismantling 18/10/2019
- More looking ahead to #IHBCBrighton2020: AHF’s first grants to social enterprises & charities to transform town centres and high streets 18/10/2019
- Government Response published: Garden Design and Tourism Report 18/10/2019
- Charles Jencks architectural historian and critic and founder of Maggie’s cancer charity dies 18/10/2019
- Enhancing place-based partnerships in public engagement 18/10/2019
- Scotland’s Green Investment Portfolio: call for projects 18/10/2019
- Secure £500 donation to a charity of your choice by answering THA’s ‘Wellbeing’ survey 18/10/2019
- AHRC Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) Urgency Grants pilot update, closing 31/10/2020 18/10/2019
- The RTPI celebrates 60 years of its Royal Charter 18/10/2019
- IHBC responds to Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) consultation, highlights needs for interdisciplinary conservation practitioners 15/10/2019
- See more #IHBCNottingham2019 on video, on ‘Heritage at Risk’ Campaigning: New 2019 Day School content from IHBC’s YouTube channel 15/10/2019
- REMINDER: Join us as IHBC supports new Climate Heritage Network launch in Edinburgh on 24-25/10 15/10/2019
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: The Liverpool GII ‘jewel’ that lies empty, derelict and vandalised 15/10/2019
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (antique) doorstep’: Call for antiques trade to help find stolen south London cattle troughs 15/10/2019
- Historic Environment Scotland issues Annual Report 2018-19 15/10/2019
- BRE appoints Piers White MBE as new Chair 15/10/2019
- Three Commissioners appointed to the Historic England board 15/10/2019
- Heritage protection for battleship wreck and Lundy Island cliff-face steps as HMS Montagu and the Montagu Steps scheduled and more 15/10/2019
- Repair and maintenance of housing falls by £451m in Scotland as housing stock increases 15/10/2019
- Omitting carbon emissions from Part L could have huge implications for HVAC industry, says GDHV 15/10/2019
- AHF invests in Scotland’s small town landmark buildings 15/10/2019
Category Archives: IHBC NewsBlog
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £1.6M+ costed opportunities this week: Education building sought for Welsh country park, closing 11/10
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this week features a call for a country park timber education building … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (watery) doorstep’: Historic England joins in fight for Brantham Decoy Pond
Campaigners’ money to protect an ancient lake from a housing development has been refunded after Historic England decided to take the fight into its own hands, as reported by the Braintree and Witham Times.
Thinking ahead to IHBC’s 2020 School & #IHBCBrighton2020: Rochdale Market to close as trader numbers and revenue continue to fall
Rochdale Market, Greater Manchester, is being closed with the last trading day set for Monday, 14 October 2019 as trader numbers and revenue continue to fail.
IHBC signpost to BRE (and IHBC!) in Wales: Update on ‘Delivering… decarbonization…’, from Swansea, city of IHBC’s 2022 ‘Technical’ School and #IHBCSwansea2022
BRE has reported on the latest roundtable discussion on the programme ‘Delivering on the decarbonisation agenda in the built environment in Wales — Frameworks to build a better Britain’, which was hosted in Swansea, planned venue for the IHBC’s 2022 … Continue reading
IHBC to Exhibit and Present at the upcoming Climate Heritage Network Launch Event in Edinburgh 24-25 October.
Don’t forget: IHBC’s HESPR-linked service promotion is now even more accessible to clients when using our map-based search
IHBC members, colleagues and client bodies can now find the office locations of HESPR members – IHBC’s Historic Environment Service Provider Recognition (HESPR) scheme – using our new map-based facility. image: Google Maps
A six figure cash injection will secure the future of an iconic Workington building, Workington Hall, according to the News and Star.
Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW), IHBC’s partner platform in our Conservation Wiki, has offered its 10,000 registered users ‘A brief guide to UK construction laws’, that may be of special use to those IHBC members seeking an overview of mainstream construction … Continue reading
A 12th Century Norfolk church, St Mary the Virgin Wimbotsham has been gutted by a fire, highlighting the ongoing relevance if the IHBC’s Nottingham 2019 School on Heritage Risk and Resilience’.
The critical culture of Irish architecture, so painstakingly developed over the last half century, is now under threat of starvation, writes Shane O’Toole as he looks ahead from Dublin, 1974…
IHBC’s newest Context now out from #IHBCNottingham2019 + Past Chair’s new feature, ‘Inter alia’, Student Award-winning project in Kent, and more
The latest issue of the IHBC’s membership journal Context is now out, exploring and reviewing our 2019 Annual School in Nottingham, on ‘Heritage Risk and Resilience’, while this issue also offers authoritative and accessible takes on stand-alone issues such as … Continue reading
Serious about your career? Stay ‘in the know’ with IHBC’s ‘Jobs etc’ review: Posts from Estates Compliance and DAC Assistants to building inspectors, surveyors and more!
Helping conservation careers and heritage employers across the UK, the IHBC regularly updates NewsBlog readers about the diverse career opportunities posted on our ‘IHBC Jobs etc’ service, and recent offerings extend from Estates Compliance Manager (HES) to Arup’s Senior Built … Continue reading
REMINDER: BOOK NOW for IHBC’s top notch CPD conference from the NW: Authoritative takes on ‘Accessibility’ – barriers to solutions – Liverpool, 10 Oct… with tours too!
The North West (NW) Branch of the IHBC has put together a comprehensive programme for its 2019 annual conference – ‘Improving Accessibility – Overcoming the Barriers to Heritage’ – in Liverpool on 10 October, ‘on how to successfully overcome the accessibility barriers … Continue reading
REMINDER BOOKING CLOSES MONDAY 30 SEPT: IHBC London’s 2019 conference: ‘From Bauhaus to Brutalism and Beyond’ – Conserving Post-war Buildings & Places, 2 October
Last chance to book for IHBC London Branch’s ever popular annual conference – this year the theme of which is ‘From Bauhaus to Brutalism and Beyond: Conserving Post-War Buildings and Places’. BOOK before 7pm Monday 30 September 2019
See more #IHBCNottingham2019 on video, on ‘Digital technology for future proofing’: New 2019 Day School content online from IHBC’s YouTube channel
IHBC’s 2019 Annual School on ‘Heritage Risk and Resilience’ included the Day School presentation by Lyn Wilson of Historic Environment Scotland (HES) on ‘Digital technology for future proofing against disaster’, now available on IHBC’s YouTube channel.
REMINDER: IHBC seeks Rural Panel lead volunteer: ‘Help us make a difference’ in rural policy and advocacy across the UK, while helping build both your learning and our rural communities
Much of the IHBC’s work is built on the contributions of active and informed volunteers who help care for heritage in local communities, and now the IHBC is seeking a volunteer interested in rural heritage policy and advocacy to lead … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £2.4M+ opportunities this week: Flintshire feasibility study, closing 1/10, valued £6k
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, while the IHBC Director’s top pick features a feasibility study from Flintshire intended to help create ‘sustainable tourism … Continue reading
The boutique cinema chain Everyman will be coming to the Grade 1 listed Royal William Yard in Plymouth, reports Plymouth Live.
COTAC’s 60th Anniversary Conference: ‘… Future of heritage conservation…’ – Stirling, 6/7 Nov, supported by HES, IHBC and more…
The IHBC is helping support COTAC’s 60th anniversary conference – ‘A Digital Norm for the Future of Heritage Conservation…’ (Stirling, 6-7 November, with HES) – which will include the IHBC’s Director exploring the operation of the 1993 ICOMOS Guidelines, with ‘Early Bird’ … Continue reading
More free CPD member benefits for IHBC at ‘The Scottish Listed Property Show’: Free places for members, and opportunities to volunteer – Edinburgh, 26/10
The IHBC is delighted to continue its CPD partnership with the Listed Property Owners Club (LPOC), with free places for members at ‘The Scottish Listed Property Show’, in the Assembly Rooms, Edinburgh on 26 October 2019, where the IHBC will … Continue reading
A project to restore a major heritage building in Bradford, the Conditioning House, a Grade II listed warehouse and part of the Bradford City Centre Heritage Properties Scheme, is likely to get a £1.5 million boost.
Thinking ahead to IHBC’s 2020 School & #IHBCBrighton2020: Retailers shut 2,870 stores in first half of 2019
The BBC has reported on research that shows about 16 shops closing every day as retailers restructure their businesses and more shopping moves online, new data that has a bearing on th 2020 IHBC Annual School, on ‘Old Towns : … Continue reading
IHBC joins Fit for the Future, seeking mutual benefits from tighter links with a key environmental sustainability network
The IHBC has embarked on a 3-month trial membership of Fit for the Future, joining over 100 heritage organisations, venues and more in knowledge-sharing and collaborating on environmental sustainability, encompassing critical areas for conservation professionals that range from strategic asset … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £97M+ opportunities this week: Design Competition for Museum Group, closing 16/10, valued £1.8M
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, while the IHBC Director’s top pick this week features a new heritage Design Competition, closing 16/10 and valued … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the barstool’: Kray Twins historic pub saved from last orders in major campaign, from The Mirror
The Mirror has reported on how ‘thirty-five boozers in London’s East End will now be protected from developers… some of them… the backdrop to major moments in British history.’