Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we combine innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment to make a positive difference to the world.
Digital Transformation is at the heart of Arup’s strategy, combining digital and data-related capabilities with traditional engineering, design and consultancy strengths. We use this to solve our clients most complex challenges and help them respond effectively to the rapidly evolving digital world.
About this career opportunity
We require an Architect with strong conservation skills to join a growing design-focussed Built Heritage team within the firm, or a qualified heritage / conservation specialist.
The team works between York and London and engages with other offices throughout the country, delivering design solutions for listed buildings of all ages and types. We are engaged with architectural work on high-profile buildings of all listing grades, including Lloyd’s of London, Huddersfield station, Blackpool Tower and York Guildhall (all Grade I).
You will be working with a team of Heritage Consultants, Designers, Architects and Engineers. We are particularly skilled in architectural detailing, construction technology and energy performance. We have a broad range of projects from mediaeval churches, stations and 20th Century buildings. Our work includes specialist material conservation from stone decay to timber and the treatment of glass on listed post-war buildings.
The team is growing rapidly in scale and reach. It forms part of a network of heritage practitioners in the firm along with CARE-accredited structural engineers, CIfA-chartered Archaeologists and heritage experts in many other design disciplines.
You will make an impact in this role by:
- Applying conservation principles and design flair to complex multidisciplinary projects involving buildings or civil engineering structures, crafting solutions that deliver performance upgrades alongside heritage objectives.
- Interacting and collaborating with a variety of specialist technical disciplines.
- Communicating and advising clients, Architects and those managing properties.
- Being involved in all stages of projects, from pre-planning and concept design to site supervision and monitoring.
- Engaging with wider networks to develop business opportunities across the heritage sector.
- Travelling regularly: this may involve site visits within the UK or working within a different office. Occasional overnight stays may be required.
- Have experience across the full range of RIBA stages is important, along with expertise in preparing listed building consent applications and architectural specifications. High standards of visual and verbal communication are essential.
- Have full knowledge of the planning process for heritage projects.
- Have robust knowledge of UK architecture and architectural history.
- Have a good grasp of architectural detailing across multiple periods and materials.
- Have excellent design, presentation and report-writing skills.
- Have graphical skills including hand-sketching, InDesign and AutoCAD.
- Have experience with stakeholder consultation and negotiation around heritage projects.
- Be at least a Conservation Registrant on the RIBA Conservation Register with significant conservation experience.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Different people, shared values
At Arup we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all backgrounds.
At Arup we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best.
At Arup we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply and we will discuss how this could work in your role.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Stay safe online – Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.