About the Role:
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that’s cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
Join WSP’s Planning Consultancy as a heritage and placemaking specialist and work on some of the world’s most exciting historic buildings and placemaking projects.
We are keen to hear from individuals who can advise clients on unlocking the potential of heritage assets, through understanding their significance and negotiating consent for sympathetic change.
The team can consider the role being based in any of the offices below:
Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham or London.
A typical week would include:
- Undertaking site visits and providing clients with reliable and insightful heritage-planning advice
- Contributing to scheme development as part of the planning and design team
- Negotiating development schemes with local planning authorities and Historic England
- Providing thought leadership, including on the role of heritage and placemaking in enhancing society
- Talking to prospective new clients about defining future projects and responding to challenges.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- A passion for unlocking the potential of historic buildings and places through sympathetic development
- Negotiated development schemes with local planning authorities and Historic England
- Prepared heritage statements and appraisals
- Acted as an expert witness in public inquiries
- Acted as an expert witness at public inquiries and/or undertaken appeal work involving heritage assets
- Worked in a local planning authority or planning consultancy (or ideally both)
- A proven ability to deliver to a high standard, strong communication skills, and a desire to learn and contribute to the on-going success and growth of our team.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy – we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world’s leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date.