Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique
This is an exciting time for DIO and Technical Services as the Sustainability and Environment teams expand to respond to the challenges of Net Zero Carbon, embedding Climate Resilience, and delivering Social Value through our procurements. Sustainability and Environment carries a high profile in the organisation, and we have a key role in delivering the new MOD Climate Change and Sustainability Strategy and the revised Greening Government targets.
Working as the Historic Building Officer (North) within the Environmental Support and Compliance business area (ES&C), you will be at the forefront of sustainability and historic building advice. This new role will be challenging and comes with a diverse portfolio of tasks as MOD baselines the condition of its heritage estate and sets out its road map to a more sustainable future.
The MOD Estate includes MOD Barracks, Airfields, Naval Bases and a vast training estate that extend from the deep marine environment, through dune systems and across the UK to the mountainous forests and moorlands of Scotland and Northern Ireland. This post offers an exciting and unique opportunity to join a developing team supporting development and management of this varied and heavily designated estate with an emphasis on the built historic assets.
The Historic Building Team, within DIO Technical Services, provides the expert advice to the Ministry of Defence, both in the UK and overseas, to maintain the historic built estate. The Historic Building Advisor (North) will support the DIO Senior Historic Building Advisor offering advice on historic buildings and heritage across the MOD focussed on Northern England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The Historic Buildings Advisor role represents the historic building expertise within the MOD, which involves ensuring the delivery of Government and MOD historic estate policy through the effective implementation of advice. The role provides an important interface between DIO and the military stakeholders, advising on a diverse range of proposals.
- Promoting and encouraging consistent working practices, strategies and standards for historic building work across MOD.
- Assisting in the management of a cohesive system and programme for the production of Quadrennial Inspections (QIs) for all MOD statutorily protected buildings.
- Providing professional ‘Intelligent Customer’ historic building support.
- Writing site or building reports, including building recording and management plans.
Policy and Guidance Development
- Revising and guiding policy in the form of internal MOD historic estate policies.
Stakeholder and Sector Engagement
- Liaising with local planning authorities, the Department of Culture Media and Sport, Historic England, Historic Environment Scotland, Cadw, Department of Environment Northern Ireland and other local and statutory bodies.
Parliamentary, Ministerial & Other Communications
- Provide timely responses to Parliamentary and Ministerial communications including drafting Ministerial Briefs and responses to Parliamentary Questions, Freedom of information/EIR requests and media enquiries.
- Updating, maintaining and developing the historic building element of the Historic Environment Database and other MOD data systems.
We also have a YouTube Video for a unique insight into DIO: https://www.youtube.com/embed/I9tLu3UdiGY?rel=0
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
For further information regarding this vacancy please contact:
Name: Chris Daniell
Telephone: Mob: (+44)(0)7773 074121
For full role details, please click the apply button to redirect to Civil Service Jobs which is the Only Official Way to apply for the role.
Closing date: 24 January 2021