Place Services is at the forefront of environmental consultancy in the public sector, and our people are integral to our success. We are a traded service of Essex County Council and our purpose is to support public sector organisations to deliver their role in sustainable development.
Place Services are on the Institute of Historic Building Conservation’s HESPR register and we are a Registered Organisation with the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists. The growth of our team means we are looking for a highly-motivated, enthusiastic and versatile historic buildings specialist to join our Historic Environment team.
The key responsibility for this role is to contribute to the effective technical delivery of our built heritage specialism. We offer a unique post which is one of the most diverse in the sector. You will help deliver our existing contracts which include providing conservation advice to local planning authorities as well as undertake a diverse range of Historic Environment project work.
Reporting to the Historic Environment Manager, the Consultant will contribute to realising our on-going commercial success and aspiration for growth. You will deliver work streams for a range of public sector clients, both within and outside of Essex. This will require good technical knowledge and project/client management skills, as well as creative thinking, to ensure effective and profitable delivery of our services.
Based in our offices in Chelmsford, we offer the opportunity for you to develop your expertise as part of a performance-driven team of dedicated professionals, in an area with a rich and varied heritage of historic buildings and places. We invest in the development of our staff, fully funding membership of both the IHBC and CIfA as well as providing funded training to individuals throughout the year.
Typical aspects of this role include:
- Provision of conservation advice (role of conservation officer) to at least one local authority;
- Production of/contribution to conservation area appraisals and design guidance;
- Cross working with our archaeological specialists;
- Joint working with our Natural and Built Environment teams within Place Services;
- Opportunities to be involved with our own CPD course syllabus;
- Production of Built Heritage Statements and Conservation Management Plans and;
- Contribution to our diverse project work.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Educated to post graduate level in building conservation (or related discipline) with demonstrable professional experience, or to degree level in building conservation (or related discipline) with significant built heritage experience.
- Has or working towards full membership of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC).
- A minimum of two years relevant work experience as a built heritage specialist in either the private or public sector.
- Good knowledge of guidance, legislation and planning policy pertaining to the historic environment.
- Good level of technical experience and knowledge of building conservation/historic buildings, including: site analysis, researching and preparing evidence base reports, and experience of development management and listed building consent proposals.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including report writing and presentation, allied with confident and professional interpersonal skills.
- Good project management skills, including ability to prioritise work whilst maintaining focus on key projects or activities, within tightly defined timescales.
- Experienced in using all Microsoft application. Working knowledge of one or more of the following: AutoCAD, GIS or Adobe Indesign would be beneficial but not essential.
- A full driving licence, and access to a car, is an essential requirement of this role.
Comprehensive training and CPD is available, including access to our annual programme of Traditional Building Skills, Conservation courses and lectures – for full details see our website
For an informal discussion about the position please call Historic Environment Manager Tim Murphy (0333 032 0847) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this position please access: APPLY ONLINE
Closing Date: 12th December 2019