Competitive salary/ 28 days holiday pa
Full time, London Office
Stephen Levrant Heritage Architecture Ltd is a nationally recognised practice of Conservation Architects, Heritage Planners, Surveyors and Historic Building Consultants based in London and Manchester. The company was established in 1992 in London and first began working in Manchester and the north-west in 1996 where we delivered key projects as part of the regeneration of the city, including the dismantling and relocation of the medieval, Grade-II listed Shambles Pubs. The company is currently working across the country on high-profile projects, for a range of private and public sector clients, such as Manchester Town Hall, Temple Works, Leeds, and Liberty’s in London.
Opportunities have arisen in our London Office due to an increasing demand for our exclusive expertise in all matters related to the historic environment. Heritage Architecture’s London team is based in Chiswick and works on a range of high-profile projects across the Country, providing employees the opportunity to work across a range of different projects, ensuring personal specialisms and interests are encouraged and developed. The close-knit team celebrate and encourage a collaborative working ethos, supporting each other on all projects.
Applicants with an established background in the historic environment and a good understanding of the UK planning system would be welcomed. There is also potential for this role to accommodate candidates with a townscape specialism.
Job Role and Description
You will be responsible for managing your own projects and undertaking the following:
- Advising clients, architects and other consultants as to how to interpret matters relating to the historic environment.
- Applying and advising appropriate conservation principles and philosophy and legislation.
- Developing strategies and preservation plans for the conservation of historic and listed buildings.
- Producing supporting statements and reports, including heritage statements, desk-based assessments, environmental statements, and consent applications;
- Production of surveys of significance and production of appraisals and analysis of character of individual buildings and areas.
- Production of Impact Assessments, Policy Compliance and Justification Statement.
- Negotiating/discussing/meetings with local authority planning officers, conservation officers, HE’s officers and others; to progress and manage commissions, including presentations to interested groups and parties.
- Preparing Planning Appeal Statements for both written representations and Public Inquires
- A good relevant first degree such as archaeology, conservation of the historic environment, planning, architectural history.
- Relevant Masters level or higher qualification in conservation or equivalent professional experience
- Strong knowledge of the planning process and be conversant with the relevant heritage legislation and guidance
- Robust knowledge of UK architectural history
- Excellent communication skills
- Competence in the use of Office Package/Photoshop
- At least 5 years relevant work experience
- A degree in Architecture/Surveyor – ability to carry out surveys written schedules and specifications.
- Experience in Townscape Projects including Characterisation Appraisals, Setting-based Assessments and Townscape Visual Impact Assessments (including EIA)
- Full or Associate Member of the IHBC
- Experience of delivering environmental impact assessments and supporting programmes for complex large infrastructure and / or major development schemes.
- Experience in a commercial consultancy environment & willingness to work nationally.
- Able to use CAD software/In-Design
The successful applicant will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Strong technical knowledge and skills
- Good people management skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Capable of working under pressure with the ability to meet critical deadlines
SLHA develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
To apply and for further information
Please send CVs with covering letter by email to: email@example.com
Deadline for applications 12 noon 17th November