The Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust was set up in 1968, on the initiative of residents, to maintain and preserve the character and amenities of the Suburb. It does this principally through its ownership of properties leased to residents and through a Scheme of Management.
The Trust has a small staff headed by the Trust Manager, Nick Packard. Further information can be found at www.hgstrust.org. This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to the decisions and polices of a well-known landlord which values the built heritage of its estate and to join a happy and hard-working team.
The salary will be £28 – 34k depending on qualifications and experience. The Trust currently operates a contributory pension scheme. The normal hours of employment are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Attendance at monthly evening meetings is required. The holiday entitlement is 25 days per annum (in addition to normal public holidays).
More information on the role and about the Trust in general can be found at www.hgstrust.org/vacancies
The post holder is accountable to the Architectural Adviser for performance of the role within agreed targets and budgets to meet the strategic aims of the Trust.
Supporting the Architectural Adviser in carrying out their duties including:
- Assessing proposals for adaptation and alteration/extension of Suburb properties to ensure they are sympathetic to the character of the property and area.
- Offering Guidance to applicants and their advisers/architects on appropriate alterations and negotiating appropriate solutions which comply with the Trust’s Policies and Design Guidance.
- Developing policies for the continued protection of the character of the Suburb such as Conservation Area Character Appraisals and Supplementary Design Guidance.
- Clearly presenting application proposals to Trust Council and Property & Plans Committee, which will involve attendance at evening meetings.
- Dealing with unauthorised alterations and enforcement of remedies, with legal assistance. Including negotiating and approving reinstatements with residents and their agents.
The post holder must have or be developing a technical aptitude and sound knowledge and understanding of historic buildings, materials, methods, design, architectural history, and fashion in buildings, particularly in regard to Arts and Crafts and Modern Movement architecture.
The post holder must be able to:-
- Quickly understand architectural drawings of submitted and/or proposed schemes/alterations.
- Suggest design solutions which are sympathetic to the style of property.
- Negotiate effectively with applicants and their agents to improve proposals.
- Present proposals clearly to the Trust Council and other bodies.
- Become confident in dealing with builders and their work on site.
- Efficiently operate the Trust’s electronic data base, filing, correspondence and administration systems.
- Work and communicate clearly as part of team.
Candidates should apply in writing to the Trust Manager, Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust by email to email@example.com with a full CV and details of two referees as soon as possible.
Further details and APPLY ONLINE
Closing date: no later than 5pm on Wednesday 4 September 2019.
Interviews will likely take place on Tuesday 10 and Thursday 12 September 2019.