About the firm – Why Montagu Evans
Montagu Evans advises on some of the UK’s largest commercial, residential and mixed-use development projects and has been doing so for nearly a century.
As a partnership we understand the value of the people who make up the firm. They and our clients are at the heart of our business.
The partnership comprises over 380 people, based in our UK offices from Scotland to London, focused on four key sectors – Housing, Retail, Business Space and Public. The practice is professional and partner led, its success down to the personal qualities and talents of the staff. This is not a bland, corporate environment, or a rigid one. Partners are closely involved, and staff have the opportunity to work with different senior professionals. The Partners’ commitment, passion and experience are what makes Montagu Evans one of the UK’s most successful planning and development advisers.
- Be part of one of the UK’s longest trading and most established property advisory practices – working within the private, public and charity sectors nationwide
- Many of our Partners joined a Graduates, showing a clear progression path for those with real ambition
- Dedicated mentor and supervisor assigned to each Graduate for the duration of their 2 year training.
- Great personal accountability within an entrepreneurial culture. You will have exposure to some of the largest commercial, residential and mixed-use property projects in the UK today
- Voted as one of the Best Places to Work in Property 2019 by Property Week.
- Annual conferences, away days and socials offer a platform to really get to know people throughout the firm, to team build, learn and strengthen relationships
About the role
We are looking for a talented, ambitious and personable assistant to join our busy Planning and Development Department in London. This opportunity is within our sector-leading Heritage and Townscape team, providing advice on planning and design matters in relation to development in the historic environment.
This person would work on a wide range of sites and on many different forms of development. You will assist different members of staff and they will have a close working relationship with partners and senior partners. Our clients include public bodies, the NHS, arts organisations and charities as well as universities, alongside major blue chip commercial developers and investment funds. This role is largely client facing and it is a real opportunity to engage with clients and the whole project team.
The work is largely in London and southern England but our expertise takes us around the country to work on complex projects, drawing on our wide experience. You will support and learn from senior team members under the guidance of qualified professionals engaged in all areas of town planning and property consultancy. We operate a merit-based advancement system and creative, determined people have the opportunity to progress up through our organisation. The culture of the firm is based on individual excellence which we reward.
Who are we looking for?
- This consultancy sector attracts talent from a diverse background, and so we have an open mind about qualifications. The successful candidate must have or be working towards a post-graduate qualification in a relevant area.
- Your course may have put you in line for membership of the RTPI and our APC candidates have a high pass rate due to our mentoring system. Alternatively, your qualification may be more suited to IHBC membership. Practical knowledge of planning and the historic environment, however that has been achieved, is what we are after.
- Those with a specialism in architectural history and experience of this field, or a strong interest in it, are likewise encouraged because expertise is at the heart of our commercial success.
- You must, however, have a pragmatic problem-solving mind with a positive attitude.
- Keen interest in the way planning and development shapes the historic environment and our quality of life.
Reports to: Partner – Planning.
Salary & Benefits
- A competitive starting salary.
- Discretionary annual Bonus Scheme.
- 26 days paid holiday. Rising to 28 days after 5 years complete service.
- Payment of fees for the cost of qualifying and any subscriptions.
- APC Training seminars and workshops.
- Life Assurance.
- Pension Scheme.
- Permanent Health Insurance (on qualification).
- Cycle2Work Scheme.
- Season Ticket Loan.
- Office based sports & wellbeing initiatives.
Applicants applying as planning graduates should respond with their CV and covering letter explaining how their experience would match our expectations. To apply, please send your CV and Covering Letter to Job.Applicant@montagu-evans.co.uk with Reference Number 74 in the subject line.
“People know each other and social events encourage this. The graduate programme provides experience and support to get professionally qualified at the earliest opportunity. The company is autonomous and staff are encouraged to take advantage of this to develop their careers.” – Anonymous feedback from Property Week’s 2018 Best Places to Work.
“What we’ve created here is special; we’re not just a bunch of people going to do a job. Yes we’re a large collection of planners and surveyors…but together we have a unique commitment to our clients and colleagues; we’re truly a team and we treat everyone with respect, trust and honesty. We have some of the brightest minds in the industry and every day I’m surrounded by people who make me laugh, who I value the opinions of and who help each other enjoy what they do. We may not shout the loudest but in some respects, I admire that most…the humbling modesty of our incredibly talented group of people.” – Rob Bower, Managing Partner.