An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Conservation Officer to join the Planning Team within East Cambridgeshire District Council, which is embarking on a period of growth, with a positive and pro-active approach to development. There are 26 conservation areas, 49 Scheduled Monuments and over 900 listed buildings in the District as well as an adopted Building of Local Interest Register and 4 designated historic parks and gardens. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the development management officers on applications affecting these designated heritage assets with the ability to balance the need for development with the statutory duty of preserving and enhancing the built heritage of the District.
Your duties will include:
- Delivering an effective and efficient conservation service;
- Preparation and review of Conservation Area Appraisals and management plans;
- Review and proactive maintenance of Buildings of Interest and Buildings at Risk Registers;
- Responding to planning application consultations;
- Providing timely, expert and impartial advice to other departments within the Council, agencies, developers and councillors;
- Processing a caseload of listed building applications;
- Undertaking site inspections and providing detailed and pragmatic advice on the historic environment;
- Producing clear and concise reports and making presentations to Committee when required.
Applicants should have a recognised degree/post graduate qualification in Historic Building Conservation or other relevant discipline as well as specialist knowledge of traditional building techniques, materials and conservation methods for repair. An understanding of historic building design, construction, architectural history and conservation legislation and policy will also be essential. Excellent verbal communication and effective time management are essential and membership of a recognised professional body such as the IHBC would be desirable.
The starting salary offered to the successful candidate will be dependent upon qualifications and experience.
The Council offers a range of benefits including:
- Childcare scheme (in approved cases)
- Flexible working
- Training, development and payment of professional fees
- Occupational health programmed
- Essential user allowance (up to £1,239 p.a.)
- Holidays, sickness and salary pension scheme entitlements
Closing date for completed applications is: 21st October 2018
Interviews will be held on: 30th & 31st October 2018
For an informal discussion about the post please contact customer services on 01353 665555 and ask to speak to the Planning Manager or APPLY ONLINE
Please note that only candidates short listed for interview will be contacted by the HR. If you have not been contacted by the date of the interviews, please assume your application has not been successful on this occasion.
The Council is an equal opportunities employer.
The Council is currently in the process of implementing a new pay and grading structure. Please be advised that the salary offered to the successful candidate may change as a result of the review.