‘Material Considerations: A Library of Sustainable Building Materials’ has been based at The Lighthouse, Glasgow since 2012, and offers a web-based resource showcases sustainable, traditional, innovative, recycled and low carbon building materials.
Architecture and Design Scotland (A+DS) writes:
This resource will interest construction professionals, architects, builders, home-owners and students alike and offers the opportunity for visitors to:
- Browse and compare materials
- Search materials by type, origin and typical use
- View case studies of the materials in use in Scottish projects, from houses to visitor centres
- View relevant events and training
- Find related publications and guidance on construction innovation, sustainable design, resource efficiency and low carbon buildings.
A solid timber construction system, it has no glues or nails. Fabricated from softwood timber posts connected with hardwood timber dowels which have a moisture content lower than the posts; over time the dowels expand locking the timber together.
This free library is open to the public Monday – Saturday 10:30-17:00, Sunday 12.00-17.00 no appointment is necessary.
You can find it at Level 2, The Lighthouse, 11 Mitchell Lane, Glasgow, G1 3NU