Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC’s South Branch CPD nudge for Oxford, 26 Oct: Secretary of State at RIBA Stirling Prize ceremony echoes Gehry’s ‘Yearning for timelessness’ 16/10/2018
- IHBC welcomes Yale’s Hampshire South Pevsner – and looks forward to CPD partnership for 2019 Nottingham School: 4-6 July 2019 16/10/2018
- IHBC North Branch celebrates success in Engineering CPD event – IHBC’s ‘Professional’ and ‘Intervention’ Areas of Competence 16/10/2018
- See IHBC stand and chair at the Civic Voice conference, Birmingham, 19-20 Oct, while asking: ‘How can we balance conservation and regeneration?’ 16/10/2018
- IHBC’s ‘heritage from the doorstep’: Nando’s plans to replace historic East London library with restaurant blasted as an ‘abomination’ 16/10/2018
- Reminder: COTAC Trustees sought – Notes of interest by 15 November 2018 16/10/2018
- RTPI: Let councils raise fees to cover planning admin costs 16/10/2018
- Scotland’s Young Placechangers Ideas Fund opens for applications 16/10/2018
- Big Lottery Fund: UK’s largest community funder to change name 16/10/2018
- Scotland’s communities feel ‘locked out’ out by landscape policy, according to major new research 16/10/2018
- Planning consultancy win appeal against conviction for wilfully obstructing a council officer in the course of their work. 16/10/2018
- SPAB Scholarship and Fellowship applications for 2019 open: Apply prior to 1 December 16/10/2018
- Tombstone footpath a ‘grave error’ at St Mary’s Clophill Church 16/10/2018
- Last chance to book IHBC NW Branch CPD: ‘The Work of Faith’ conference & Taylor Review Pilot update – and why you need to be in Liverpool on 18 October! 12/10/2018
- IHBC South Branch on ‘Yearning for Timelessness…’: New architecture in historic settings, in talks and visits in Oxford, 26 Oct 12/10/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Practice’ update: Lincolnshire local authority’s ‘national first’ offers a new approach to Conservation Area controls – 2 Article 4s and an LDO combined 12/10/2018
- Topical CPD focusing on curtilage: An afternoon with Dr. Charles Mynors in Lincoln – Friday 9 Nov 12/10/2018
- IHBC’s ‘VAT reminder’, as critical 10k of signatures near: Sign the LPOC’s petition to the Chancellor if you agree with the IHBC, that ‘…it is perverse that repairs should be subject to VAT when new development is not’ 12/10/2018
- IHBC’s ‘heritage from the doorstep’: Wolverhampton’s iconic Royal Hospital to lose nurses home as costs mean heritage-friendly conversion options not ‘viable’… says Homes England 12/10/2018
- IHBC’s HESPR top pick from £205K+ costed work this week: Braintree DC seeks Conservation Area Appraisals – closing 26/10, valued £10-25,000 12/10/2018
- BEFS seeks new Chair: Deadline 22 Oct 12/10/2018
- What is England’s favourite conservation area? Civic Voice seeks shortlist votes on ‘are examples of great placemaking’ – closing 16 Oct! 12/10/2018
- SAVE wins landmark judgement against the Secretary of State on giving reasons for call-in decisions 12/10/2018
- Scotland’s ‘FutureTown Design Competition’ open for applications; closing 31 Oct 12/10/2018
- Thieves steal Houghton Conquest Grade 1 listed church’s lead roof 12/10/2018
Monthly Archives: March 2018
IHBC’s newest HESPR members: Four more companies recognised under our conservation services quality assurance scheme
Crenellated Arts, Hook Mason, Listed Building Surveys and Murphy Associates are now recognised under the IHBC’s quality assured conservation service HESPR listing – at hespr.ihbc.org.uk – adding to the more than 30 other conservation and heritage businesses currently listed on … Continue reading
At each Annual General Meeting (AGM) the IHBC elects, re-elects or appoints trustees and officers who are nominated and voted in by Full Members, with nominations to the next AGM closing on 20 April 2018, while the only officer reaching … Continue reading
IHBC joins UDG, Civic Voice, Place Alliance and more calling for more design focus in the final NPPF: 11 April, London
The Urban Design Group (UDG) will co-host an evening of discussions on the progress on England’s Draft ‘NPPF’(National Planning Policy Framework) on 11 April, with the IHBC joining speakers from Civic Voice, Academy of Urbanism, Urban Design Group and more, … Continue reading
More IHBC members with benefits: CIOB Academy offers IHBC reduced rates on conservation training – 15% off
The CIOB Academy has offered IHBC members reduced rates on the conservation related courses listed below, with our members receiving a discount of 15% off the headline costs.
New Scotland Branch CPD on Conservation Areas: Penicuik (19 April), Ayr (11 May) and Aberdeen (Autumn)
IHBC’s Scotland Branch is offering CPD events tied to the recent 50th Anniversary celebrations of Conservation Areas in Scotland, with training days scheduled in Penicuik and Carlops (19 April) and Ayr and Maybole (11 May), and with a third planned … Continue reading
Remember: You can be a ‘Friend’ to IHBC’s 2018 School and join THA, AHF, HLF, COTAC, CCT and more, absolutely free! (Limited Offer)
Be a ‘Friend’ to the IHBC’s 2018 Belfast School and join THA, AHF, HLF, COTAC and more in learning support, absolutely free! (Limited Offer)
IHBC HESPR’s top pick from up to c.£20K+ of costed work this week: South Ayrshire seeks Maybole High Street valuation survey, closing 03/04, no value stated
The IHBC’s heritage business list, HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alert’ emails, with costed opportunities worth some £20K+ this week, while the IHBC Director’s current top pick for … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘heritage from the (UK) doorstep’: Bath’s South Stoke saves pub with ‘biggest community buy-back’, inspiring others too!
A £1m campaign to resurrect the Packhorse Public House in South Stoke has brought the village together, with ‘the biggest community pub buy-back project in British history’ as supporters hope it will inspire others, the Guardian reports. image Guardian website
COTAC seeks 2 voluntary Trustees by 31 May – including COTAC Honorary Treasurer – to join new Secretary Michael Netter
COTAC, the Council on Training in Architectural Conservation, seeks 2 new voluntary trustees – one of which may also hold the position of Honorary Treasurer – to work alongside COTAC’s newly appointed Honorary Secretary, Michal Netter, with a closing date … Continue reading
A new grant scheme is being piloted in five of England’s National Parks (NPs) offering funding for land managers to restore their historic farm buildings. image Black Harry Barn – licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
The annual Brick Awards celebrates the best examples of clay brick in our built environment, and each year attracts over 300 entries, and is now open, and closes 15 June.
Users can explore England’s most prestigious heritage sites using a new app, the England’s Historic Cities app.
New 2018 School CPD boost: Check the benefits of Belfast 2018 with our pilot CPD School Skills matrix, and let your employer know the benefits too!
The IHBC is continually promoting new support for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) at our Annual Schools – they are ‘Schools’ after all – and for 2018 members can now assess projected skills and themes using a pilot CPD matrix suite, … Continue reading
Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – the construction industry knowledge base and host partner of the IHBC’s Conservation Wiki – has produced an accessible guide to the resource, helping users engage with it for CPD purposes and promoting their public profile.
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: School, pub and ice house among winners of Wandsworth Design Awards
New student accommodation, a school, a theatre, a pub and the restoration of a listed ice house have all won awards in the 2017 Wandsworth Design Awards as ‘examples of top-quality contemporary designs as well as sensitive renovations of precious … Continue reading
Hull City Council is set to sell a Victorian landmark swimming pool on Holderness Road in East Hull, the Hull Daily Mail tells its readers.
VisitScotland research: Outlander and other film and TV hits bring record numbers of US tourists to Scotland
Record numbers of people from the US have come to Scotland this year seeking history, culture and ‘life enrichment’, and this has been sparked by the country’s appearance in recent films and TV programmes, especially historical sci-fi drama Outlander, according … Continue reading
Sadiq Khan has named Waltham Forest as London Borough of Culture 2019, and Brent as London Borough of Culture 2020.
Hastings Pier, transformed into an architectural prize-winner after being ravaged by fire, is being sold as the body that ran it – Hastings Pier Charity – has folded.
The English Cities Fund – a partnership between three of the UK’s leading regeneration and investment organisations – has announced that it will double its investment in cities and towns in England to £200m.
What better excuse for a slice of cake than being able to enjoy some of Britain’s most beautiful and historic buildings at the same time, so the National Churches Trust has featured a selection of some favourite church cafes! image … Continue reading
IHBC’s 2018 School, 21-23 June 2018: Featured on DBW’s 7500+ user alerts – So book now before early bird rates close on 20 April
The IHBC’s 2018 Annual School has been featured in the eletter of Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – host partner of the IHBC’s Conservation Wiki – and sent to DBW’s 7500+ registered users, extending further the IHBC’s reach into education and … Continue reading
Jobs for all at ‘IHBC Jobs etc’: A work update on recent opportunities, from surveyor and inspector to conservation officer and covenants!
Whether you are an applicant looking for career progression, or an employer seeking the best applicants for your service – public, charity or commercial – our IHBC Jobs etc. service is the first place to visit, and we’re now offering … Continue reading
IHBC HESPR’s top pick from up to c.£285K+ of costed work this week: NHMF’s ‘Great Place’ scheme evaluation, closing 16/04, valued £40K
The IHBC’s heritage business list, HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alert’ emails, with costed opportunities worth some £285K+ this week, while the IHBC Director’s current top pick for … Continue reading
The architect, planner and architectural historian Gustavo Giovannoni (1873–1947) played an important role in integrating modern planning requirements into historic town centres in Italy and beyond, and his work is introduced in a Context article based on the commended IHBC … Continue reading