Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC joins Civic Voice conference, Birmingham, 19-20 Oct, with cash, stand, and chair, asking: ‘How can we balance conservation and regeneration?’ 25/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Birmingham Live celebrates city airport’s first terminal building being saved from bulldozers 25/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘CPD Boost in Context’: Conservation philosophy from the IHBC Chair’s ‘Notes’, Context No. 154 25/09/2018
- Launch of ‘Partners in Planning’, in Scotland 25/09/2018
- More funding to boost services in England’s village pubs… 25/09/2018
- Theresa May says people should be proud of their council house 25/09/2018
- STBA: 3 year pilot for ‘Whole House Retrofit Toolkit’ 25/09/2018
- Scotland: New funding phase for Outdoor Learning – ‘OLiN’ 25/09/2018
- User needs survey on new OASIS system, closing end September 25/09/2018
- Dover District Council tackles poorly maintained town centre properties 25/09/2018
- Parliamentary Motion celebrates Sixth Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival 25/09/2018
- Secure your place at the heart of ‘Creative Conservation’, with sector leads (AHF, HE, THA etc.) + case studies + networks + stands: 4 Oct – ‘Cost effective and creative CPD, from London IHBC!’ 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s special Branch outreach and support uplift – All you need on your annual operations as new ‘IHBC Branch Operations’ and ‘Social Media Guidance’ launched! 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s HESPR top pick from £1.2M+ costed work this week: Dover DC seeks services relating to Maison Dieu – closing 10/10, valued £52k 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s CPD boost with a twist: Context’s distillation in ‘Periodically’ … and fast too! 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (theatre) doorstep’: Theatre Royal Plymouth granted listed status – and Stage touts! 21/09/2018
- Government faces court action from FoE over ‘illegal’ planning policy 21/09/2018
- Seven Welsh high streets shortlisted for Great British High Street awards 21/09/2018
- ‘Prioritisation within built heritage’ – BEFS’ calls for ideas 21/09/2018
- Uxbridge homeowner who built illegal extensions ordered to pay nearly £10k in fines by court 21/09/2018
- Vic Soc Top 10 list reveals eclectic selection of endangered buildings 21/09/2018
- New HE & IHBC joint Webinar pilot: First online offerings and updates with ‘Enforcement’ focus – webinars from 11 Oct, with booking open now! 18/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Practice Spotlight’: Crumbling masonry in GII Gothic house cleaned up following S.215 ‘Untidy Sites Notice’ – ‘powers not used enough…’ says the IHBC 18/09/2018
- IHBC’s Context ‘CPD boost’- A heritage conservation revolution, in context 18/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage on the doorstep’: York Civic Trust on ‘the first modern lesbian’ 18/09/2018
Monthly Archives: December 2017
IHBC’s 2018 Annual School – ‘Shared Heritage’, Belfast, June 21-23 – now formal EYCH2018 event: Use free NewsBlogs for updates
The IHBC’s 2018 Annual School, ‘Our Shared Heritage’ has joined to the formal listing of UK events for the 2018 European Year of Cultural Heritage (EYCH), while non-IHBC members can get regular updates on School news via our NewsBlogs trial … Continue reading
REMINDER: IHBC’s 5-minute member survey closes 8 Jan!
Nominations sought for IHBC Marsh Awards 2018 Update: President calls for entries – closing 28 February
IHBC Marsh Awards 2018 Update: President calls for entries – closing 28 February
The IHBC has welcomed the adoption of the new ‘Principles for the Conservation of Wooden Built Heritage’ by the ICOMOS International Scientific Committee on Wood (IIWC), in a session of the of the 19th General Assembly of the International Council … Continue reading
IHBC HESPR’s weekly top weekly pick from c.£225K+ costed work this week: Nottinghamshire WWI memorial design contest, valued £200,000, closing 26/01
The IHBC’s heritage business list, HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alert’ emails, with costed opportunities worth more than £225,000 for the last week, while the IHBC Director’s current … Continue reading
Historic England (HE) is inviting heritage sector organisations to participate in a scheme to increase the diversity of the heritage workforce. The scheme is aimed at undergraduates or very recent graduates who identify as having Black, Asian or other Minority … Continue reading
On 30 November 2017, the Law Commission launched a twelve-week public consultation on its proposals to modernise and codify planning law in Wales, with a deadline for responses of 1 March 2018.
The Federation of Master Builders’ (FMB) has launched its ‘Homes on our high streets’ report, which makes recommendations to Local Authorities and others to help bring back residential units above shops back into use, arguing that ‘Many of these buildings … Continue reading
Together with the Mayor of London, Transport for London (TfL) and Hackney Council, Islington Council are issuing an ‘Open Call for Design Ideas’ to create an iconic gateway at Old Street, with the entries closing on 29 January.
The Supreme Court has upheld a decision by the Court of Appeal against plans to build 521 homes in the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
The National Assembly’s Committee on Culture, Welsh Language and Communications is conducting an inquiry on the historic environment.
Inside the ex-council house in Essex: ‘Talliston House and gardens’, a 25 year project where time stands still
An ex-council house in Essex ‘Talliston House and gardens’ tells the story of different periods in history, incorporating nearly 2,000 objects, in a project that took 25 years to complete.
The IHBC’s Membership ELetter has been issued, updating members on of progress for – and following – IHBC Trustee meetings in October and December.
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Cumbria Crack and the ‘End of wind turbine ‘blight’ after Lake District campaign’
A dozen 140ft wind turbines on the edge of the Lake District are due to be dismantled next summer after a decision which could result in many more being removed to restore views. image Cumbria Crack website
IHBC CPD boost from Scotland: ‘Architectural conservation solves 21C environmental, social and economic challenges’
Dr Cristina González-Longo – Director at the IHBC recognised conservation course at Strathclyde – explains how Scotland’s identity is closely linked to its historic buildings, ranking in the Nation Brands Index at 12 out of 50 nations for its reputation … Continue reading
IHBC CPD boost: New App, Litlong, Lets You Take a Literary Tour of Edinburgh: Features 50,000 Book Excerpts
The University of Edinburgh and Napier University have teamed up to create Litlong, a website and mobile app that lets you explore Edinburgh and its rich literary tradition.
The Civic Voice Design Awards 2018 is open for applications, with Civic Voice highlighting categories that include showing how ‘new development can enhance a conservation area’, and the ceremony to be held in The Leadenhall Building, the second tallest building … Continue reading
Design Council has published Designing a Future Economy, a study that presents a powerful picture about the value of design, with headlines including issues such as that skills shortages and gaps amongst those already working in design-skilled occupations costs the … Continue reading
Government funding for innovation in energy efficiency and heating technologies for the built environment
Across Government, Innovate UK, Research Councils, and the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) expect to invest around £184 million in research and innovation in the built environment, and as part of this commitment, within the BEIS Energy … Continue reading
Parliamentary CLGC: Making current needs and funding assessments for councils simpler, more transparent
England’s Parliamentary Communities and Local Government Committee (CLGC) has published analysis – titled ‘Reforming local authority needs assessment’ – suggesting ways in which the current needs and funding assessments for councils could be made simpler and more transparent. Parliamentary copyright … Continue reading
A comparison of housing demolition figures used to help justify changing the HS2 route through South Yorkshire was wrong by at least 40 per cent, the Government has admitted.
The Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) has published its ‘Annual Review’ for 2016/17.
A ‘unique’ collaboration between Hadrian’s Wall, which spans the north of England, and the Great Wall of China has been featured by the BBC following announcements made by England’s Heritage Minister John Glen, as part of his new Heritage Statement.
IHBC joins in LPOC’s Listed Property Show: Free entry, CPD – including Kindred on ‘LB enforcement’ – networking drinks, and more, London Olympia, 24-25 Feb (Book first and fast; places limited)
The IHBC is delighted to be joining in the Listed Property Show for 2018, and offering member benefits that include: An IHBC stand Free entry for IHBC members (worth £15 – booked in advance only) Free CPD, including a dedicated … Continue reading
Members can still offer thoughts on the work of their institute by completing our 5-minute survey over the break: closing 8 Jan, and with a chance to win a personal IHBC-Branded copy of BS 7913!