Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC’s Annual School 2018, Belfast 21-3 June: Day School lead speakers web page launched 16/02/2018
- New IHBC Toolbox Research Note on ‘Market Intelligence’ from IHBC’s Jobs etc service: LA conservation jobs update for 2017! 16/02/2018
- REMINDER IHBC members with free CPD benefits: Last chances for the LPOC Listed Property Show – 25-5 Feb, London 16/02/2018
- IHBC HESPR’s top pick from c.£1M of costed work this week: Craven DC seeks research on its ‘Great Place’ project, value £50-60K, closing 09/03 16/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (local government) doorstep: Partnership’s ‘impressive payback’ for Derby’s conservation areas 16/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘tekkie’ CPD boost: Blockchain technology transformation in the built environment 16/02/2018
- Cadw reminder: Heritage Impact Statements now needed 16/02/2018
- Gender balanced public boards for Scotland as Bill on representation passes final stage 16/02/2018
- BEFS’ Planning (Scotland) Bill – response & overview update 16/02/2018
- Allchurches Trust dispersed £15M grants 2017 16/02/2018
- Jodrell Bank nominated as UNESCO world heritage site 16/02/2018
- Janet Street-Porter’s ‘extroverted’ postmodern home listed 16/02/2018
- Jobs for all @ ‘IHBC Jobs etc’: Your new weekly update on employment opportunities totalling more than £150K of annual income! 13/02/2018
- REMINDER: FREE CPD for IHBC Members at LPOC Property Show! 13/02/2018
- IHBC member benefits abound as ‘Building Conservation Directory’ 2018 arrives: From WHS development to masonry bridges and more 13/02/2018
- IHBC CPD check: On ‘Building Design’, at DBW – and maybe make your own contributions on heritage issues too! 13/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Glasgow landmark saved in citywide regeneration project 13/02/2018
- SPIC launches briefing paper on the Planning (Scotland) Bill – How the Scottish planning system currently operates 13/02/2018
- MHCLG: Revised NPPF for England due before Easter 13/02/2018
- Not over yet: Victorian Society appeals against Bath Abbey judgement 13/02/2018
- Theatres Trust announces Theatres at Risk Register for 2018 13/02/2018
- Applications for VAG Spring Conference bursary now open: Bangor, 3-7 April – closes 3 March 13/02/2018
- IHBC promotes HESPR members direct: Coming soon – free promotional literature on IHBC stands! 09/02/2018
- IHBC Scotland Branch responds to Planning (Scotland) Bill… Memorandum 09/02/2018
- REMINDER: IHBC Marsh Award for Retired Members – open until 28 Feb! 09/02/2018
Monthly Archives: October 2017
IHBC in UDG: Joint Conservation Professional Practice Principles explored in Urban Design Group journal… along with much more
IHBC past-Chair Dave Chetwyn and IHBC Director Seán O’Reilly feature perspectives in and around conservation practice and interdisciplinary placemaking in the new issue of the Urban Design Group (UDG) membership journal, as they offer IHBC takes on the institute’s joint … Continue reading
IHBC notes RTPI consultation seeking employer feedback on proposed apprenticeship degree scheme – closing 6 Nov
Working with employers, the RTPI is looking to establish a Degree Apprenticeship for Chartered Town Planners in England, with the consultation closing on 6 November.
IHBC CPD boost update on sustainable buildings from PBC: Commission releases EU-wide tool ‘Level(s)’
The European Commission has launched the pilot phase of ‘Level(s)’, a new EU- framework for sustainable buildings, aimed at helping transform the building sector, Planning and Building Control today (PBC) explains.
The Association of English Cathedrals would like to hear from those with an interest in cathedrals and the time and relevant specialist skills and experience to serve as volunteer expert members on the newly created Cathedral Projects Support Panel.
Film director warns that unsympathetic developments aimed at visitors could lead to historic city losing its UNESCO World Heritage Site (WHS) status.
New research released by the campaigning charity Empty Homes to mark Empty Homes Week shows that both the highest and lowest value properties in England have the highest levels of long-term empty homes.
The BBC has reported on the Victorian kitchen garden at Florencecourt Co. Fermanagh which is being revived to 1930’s splendour with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).
Belfast City Council has voted in favour of Translink’s new transport hub, meaning Belfast’s Boyne Bridge could be demolished to accommodate it, but, says the BBC, the current bridge near Sandy Row was reconstructed in 1936, while its origins date … Continue reading
Ahead of our Halloween and After Dark events programme, English Heritage asked 1,800 staff to vote for the spookiest site in its care. image EH website
Students ‘Come to Brum’ at IHBC’s expense… and get some proper conservation networking, 23 Nov– Ask Carla, ASAP!
The IHBC’s celebrated ‘Course Connection Day’ takes a new twist in 2017 as students on any UK specialist course can apply to join the IHBC for a free, expenses-paid introductory day of conservation and career support, with limited places allocated … Continue reading
IHBC supports HE on Conservation Areas ‘at risk’: Sad news for locals as more than twice as many added in 2017 as taken off
Following the launch of the Historic England ‘At risk’ register, the IHBC supports concerns that, in the 50th anniversary year of Conservation Areas, more twice as many are added to the Register (47) as removed (22), giving a total of … Continue reading
IHBC Director co-chairs free joint technical ‘Heritage Buildings Seminar’: RGS London, 9 November
IHBC HESPR’s weekly top picks from c.£999,000+ costed work: professional services (PM; QS, Engineering) for Cheltenham street upgrades
The IHBC’s heritage business listing, HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers HESPR members weekly ‘News and Tender Alert’ emails, with costed opportunities worth more than £999,000 this time, while the IHBC Director’s top pick for … Continue reading
THA update on Treasury discussions: Highlights ‘Cut the VAT’ evidence base, supported by IHBC, and more…
The Heritage Alliance (THA) has issued an update on its discussions with the Treasury, including highlighting the benefits of cutting VAT on repairs etc., which relies on an evidence base co-funded by the IHBC and developed by Experian.
Don’t forget: Historic England National Capacity Building Programme 2018-2020: ‘Call for applications’, closing 5 November
Historic England National Capacity Building Programme 2018-2020: ‘Call for applications’, closing 5 November
HE’s ‘At Risk 2017’ launched: incudes Hawksmoor, gasholder and Nash’s Brighton gardens… but target rescues ahead of schedule
Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register 2017 has been published, its annual snapshot of the state of England’s most valued vulnerable historic places, highlighting the sites across England that are at risk of being lost as a result of neglect, decay … Continue reading
Winners of Scottish Heritage Angel Awards 2017 have been announced.
The 2018 Awards have 11 categories to choose from, including the BRAND NEW Best Shop Award which is split into two categories – Turnover Above £500k and Turnover Below £500k. Also returning for 2018 is the ever popular and FREE Volunteer(s) of the … Continue reading
RTPI Cymru is launching a competition – closing 10 November – to collect photographs and drawings which depict planning in Wales.
Part of the Parliamentary estate was cordoned off on Thursday after reports that masonry had fallen from part of a building, smashing a car window. Parliamentary copyright images are reproduced with the permission of Parliament
Scientific research carried out by the National Trust has found that natural and historic places have a powerful effect on all of us, as their ‘Places that Make us’ report demonstrates the depth of people’s connection with place.
Four new Trustees are sought to join the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF)/ National Heritage Memorial Fund (NHMF) Board in 2018, with applications closing 3 November.
IHBC welcomes new SPAB insights in the ‘SPAB Approach’: Critical practice perspectives for modern decision-making
The IHBC has welcomed the new statement on the practice standards and philosophy of the SPAB – The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings – recently published under the title ‘The SPAB approach to the care and conservation of old … Continue reading
HE highlights TCPA’s 70th anniversary online and in debate – From Hugh Ellis and Bob Kindred to Birgitta Ringbeck and Deborah Mays
IHBC supports CV’s online survey call to ‘Tell the APPG for Civic Societies how conservation cuts are impacting your area’