Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- IHBC joins Civic Voice conference, Birmingham, 19-20 Oct, with cash, stand, and chair, asking: ‘How can we balance conservation and regeneration?’ 25/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Birmingham Live celebrates city airport’s first terminal building being saved from bulldozers 25/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘CPD Boost in Context’: Conservation philosophy from the IHBC Chair’s ‘Notes’, Context No. 154 25/09/2018
- Launch of ‘Partners in Planning’, in Scotland 25/09/2018
- More funding to boost services in England’s village pubs… 25/09/2018
- Theresa May says people should be proud of their council house 25/09/2018
- STBA: 3 year pilot for ‘Whole House Retrofit Toolkit’ 25/09/2018
- Scotland: New funding phase for Outdoor Learning – ‘OLiN’ 25/09/2018
- User needs survey on new OASIS system, closing end September 25/09/2018
- Dover District Council tackles poorly maintained town centre properties 25/09/2018
- Parliamentary Motion celebrates Sixth Edinburgh Traditional Building Festival 25/09/2018
- Secure your place at the heart of ‘Creative Conservation’, with sector leads (AHF, HE, THA etc.) + case studies + networks + stands: 4 Oct – ‘Cost effective and creative CPD, from London IHBC!’ 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s special Branch outreach and support uplift – All you need on your annual operations as new ‘IHBC Branch Operations’ and ‘Social Media Guidance’ launched! 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s HESPR top pick from £1.2M+ costed work this week: Dover DC seeks services relating to Maison Dieu – closing 10/10, valued £52k 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s CPD boost with a twist: Context’s distillation in ‘Periodically’ … and fast too! 21/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (theatre) doorstep’: Theatre Royal Plymouth granted listed status – and Stage touts! 21/09/2018
- Government faces court action from FoE over ‘illegal’ planning policy 21/09/2018
- Seven Welsh high streets shortlisted for Great British High Street awards 21/09/2018
- ‘Prioritisation within built heritage’ – BEFS’ calls for ideas 21/09/2018
- Uxbridge homeowner who built illegal extensions ordered to pay nearly £10k in fines by court 21/09/2018
- Vic Soc Top 10 list reveals eclectic selection of endangered buildings 21/09/2018
- New HE & IHBC joint Webinar pilot: First online offerings and updates with ‘Enforcement’ focus – webinars from 11 Oct, with booking open now! 18/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Practice Spotlight’: Crumbling masonry in GII Gothic house cleaned up following S.215 ‘Untidy Sites Notice’ – ‘powers not used enough…’ says the IHBC 18/09/2018
- IHBC’s Context ‘CPD boost’- A heritage conservation revolution, in context 18/09/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage on the doorstep’: York Civic Trust on ‘the first modern lesbian’ 18/09/2018
Monthly Archives: October 2017
IHBC in UDG: Joint Conservation Professional Practice Principles explored in Urban Design Group journal… along with much more
IHBC past-Chair Dave Chetwyn and IHBC Director Seán O’Reilly feature perspectives in and around conservation practice and interdisciplinary placemaking in the new issue of the Urban Design Group (UDG) membership journal, as they offer IHBC takes on the institute’s joint … Continue reading
IHBC notes RTPI consultation seeking employer feedback on proposed apprenticeship degree scheme – closing 6 Nov
Working with employers, the RTPI is looking to establish a Degree Apprenticeship for Chartered Town Planners in England, with the consultation closing on 6 November.
IHBC CPD boost update on sustainable buildings from PBC: Commission releases EU-wide tool ‘Level(s)’
The European Commission has launched the pilot phase of ‘Level(s)’, a new EU- framework for sustainable buildings, aimed at helping transform the building sector, Planning and Building Control today (PBC) explains.
The Association of English Cathedrals would like to hear from those with an interest in cathedrals and the time and relevant specialist skills and experience to serve as volunteer expert members on the newly created Cathedral Projects Support Panel.
Film director warns that unsympathetic developments aimed at visitors could lead to historic city losing its UNESCO World Heritage Site (WHS) status.
New research released by the campaigning charity Empty Homes to mark Empty Homes Week shows that both the highest and lowest value properties in England have the highest levels of long-term empty homes.
The BBC has reported on the Victorian kitchen garden at Florencecourt Co. Fermanagh which is being revived to 1930’s splendour with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).
Belfast City Council has voted in favour of Translink’s new transport hub, meaning Belfast’s Boyne Bridge could be demolished to accommodate it, but, says the BBC, the current bridge near Sandy Row was reconstructed in 1936, while its origins date … Continue reading
Ahead of our Halloween and After Dark events programme, English Heritage asked 1,800 staff to vote for the spookiest site in its care. image EH website
Students ‘Come to Brum’ at IHBC’s expense… and get some proper conservation networking, 23 Nov– Ask Carla, ASAP!
The IHBC’s celebrated ‘Course Connection Day’ takes a new twist in 2017 as students on any UK specialist course can apply to join the IHBC for a free, expenses-paid introductory day of conservation and career support, with limited places allocated … Continue reading
IHBC supports HE on Conservation Areas ‘at risk’: Sad news for locals as more than twice as many added in 2017 as taken off
Following the launch of the Historic England ‘At risk’ register, the IHBC supports concerns that, in the 50th anniversary year of Conservation Areas, more twice as many are added to the Register (47) as removed (22), giving a total of … Continue reading
IHBC Director co-chairs free joint technical ‘Heritage Buildings Seminar’: RGS London, 9 November
IHBC HESPR’s weekly top picks from c.£999,000+ costed work: professional services (PM; QS, Engineering) for Cheltenham street upgrades
The IHBC’s heritage business listing, HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers HESPR members weekly ‘News and Tender Alert’ emails, with costed opportunities worth more than £999,000 this time, while the IHBC Director’s top pick for … Continue reading
THA update on Treasury discussions: Highlights ‘Cut the VAT’ evidence base, supported by IHBC, and more…
The Heritage Alliance (THA) has issued an update on its discussions with the Treasury, including highlighting the benefits of cutting VAT on repairs etc., which relies on an evidence base co-funded by the IHBC and developed by Experian.
Don’t forget: Historic England National Capacity Building Programme 2018-2020: ‘Call for applications’, closing 5 November
Historic England National Capacity Building Programme 2018-2020: ‘Call for applications’, closing 5 November
HE’s ‘At Risk 2017’ launched: incudes Hawksmoor, gasholder and Nash’s Brighton gardens… but target rescues ahead of schedule
Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register 2017 has been published, its annual snapshot of the state of England’s most valued vulnerable historic places, highlighting the sites across England that are at risk of being lost as a result of neglect, decay … Continue reading
Winners of Scottish Heritage Angel Awards 2017 have been announced.
The 2018 Awards have 11 categories to choose from, including the BRAND NEW Best Shop Award which is split into two categories – Turnover Above £500k and Turnover Below £500k. Also returning for 2018 is the ever popular and FREE Volunteer(s) of the … Continue reading
RTPI Cymru is launching a competition – closing 10 November – to collect photographs and drawings which depict planning in Wales.
Part of the Parliamentary estate was cordoned off on Thursday after reports that masonry had fallen from part of a building, smashing a car window. Parliamentary copyright images are reproduced with the permission of Parliament
Scientific research carried out by the National Trust has found that natural and historic places have a powerful effect on all of us, as their ‘Places that Make us’ report demonstrates the depth of people’s connection with place.
Four new Trustees are sought to join the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF)/ National Heritage Memorial Fund (NHMF) Board in 2018, with applications closing 3 November.
IHBC welcomes new SPAB insights in the ‘SPAB Approach’: Critical practice perspectives for modern decision-making
The IHBC has welcomed the new statement on the practice standards and philosophy of the SPAB – The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings – recently published under the title ‘The SPAB approach to the care and conservation of old … Continue reading
HE highlights TCPA’s 70th anniversary online and in debate – From Hugh Ellis and Bob Kindred to Birgitta Ringbeck and Deborah Mays
IHBC supports CV’s online survey call to ‘Tell the APPG for Civic Societies how conservation cuts are impacting your area’