Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- Jobs for all at ‘IHBC Jobs etc’: A new weekly work update on more than £50K of salaries, from church support to conservation officer! 20/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Stroud TC’s developing NDP heritage list – Victorian postbox, old tomb and several historic buildings…. 20/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Mocha Parade, Manchester – ‘neglected shopping precinct that time forgot’ to face bulldozer 20/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the ‘stadium’ step’: Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville’s £200m Manchester plan opposed 20/02/2018
- HES new Guidance Note on ‘Windows’ 20/02/2018
- Heritage audience insights update: Review of HE’s online advice and guidance 20/02/2018
- AHRC and EPSRC to fund 32 projects leading on future immersive experiences 20/02/2018
- CMS Committee on ‘Impact of Brexit’ on the creative, tourism and digital industries 20/02/2018
- THA survey on how heritage supports health 20/02/2018
- The Golf Ball: Next blip on London’s skyline? 20/02/2018
- IHBC’s Annual School 2018, Belfast 21-3 June: Day School lead speakers web page launched 16/02/2018
- New IHBC Toolbox Research Note on ‘Market Intelligence’ from IHBC’s Jobs etc service: LA conservation jobs update for 2017! 16/02/2018
- REMINDER IHBC members with free CPD benefits: Last chances for the LPOC Listed Property Show – 25-5 Feb, London 16/02/2018
- IHBC HESPR’s top pick from c.£1M of costed work this week: Craven DC seeks research on its ‘Great Place’ project, value £50-60K, closing 09/03 16/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (local government) doorstep: Partnership’s ‘impressive payback’ for Derby’s conservation areas 16/02/2018
- IHBC’s ‘tekkie’ CPD boost: Blockchain technology transformation in the built environment 16/02/2018
- Cadw reminder: Heritage Impact Statements now needed 16/02/2018
- Gender balanced public boards for Scotland as Bill on representation passes final stage 16/02/2018
- BEFS’ Planning (Scotland) Bill – response & overview update 16/02/2018
- Allchurches Trust dispersed £15M grants 2017 16/02/2018
- Jodrell Bank nominated as UNESCO world heritage site 16/02/2018
- Janet Street-Porter’s ‘extroverted’ postmodern home listed 16/02/2018
- Jobs for all @ ‘IHBC Jobs etc’: Your new weekly update on employment opportunities totalling more than £150K of annual income! 13/02/2018
- REMINDER: FREE CPD for IHBC Members at LPOC Property Show! 13/02/2018
- IHBC member benefits abound as ‘Building Conservation Directory’ 2018 arrives: From WHS development to masonry bridges and more 13/02/2018
Monthly Archives: June 2017
The IHBC has welcomed the CIOB’s new President, Rebecca Thompson, currently an IHBC Affiliate member in the Yorkshire (YO) Branch, who took up her appointment as 114th President of the CIOB on 19 June.
Places are still available on the IHBC South Branch CPD seminar ‘The Only Way is Ethics! Walking the line: Conservation Principles, Policy and Practice…’ with speakers including Dr Charles Mynors, Richard Oxley and David Brock, on Friday 14 July in Oxford.
IHBC Conservation Areas 50th Anniversary update No 1- IHBC/CV/HE joint research review update on ‘perceptions’
Historic England, working with Civic Voice (CV) and the IHBC, has released results of two parallel surveys of IHBC and CV members’ perceptions of conservation areas in their 50th anniversary year.
IHBC CA 50th anniversary update No. 2: C20 Society needs your help to identify England’s 20th century Conservation Areas
To mark the 50th anniversary of conservation areas (CAs), the Twentieth Century Society has been awarded a grant by Historic England to research twentieth-century conservation areas and prospective designations, while IHBC President David McDonald is helping on the programme and … Continue reading
London Branch will host another free event to help practitioners applying for conservation accreditation by the IHBC on Wednesday 13 September, from 6.00 – 8.00 pm in London: early booking is essential.
The New Yorker has posted a very neat split-screen tour of the same streets in New York City, letting you see the Big Apple in the in the 1930s and today.
England’s historic sites were hotbeds of invention and creativity that shaped both our nation and the world beyond and Historic England (HE) invites nominations from the public.
The Local Government Association (LGA) has issued guidance on the issues local areas should consider where they are contemplating introducing a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO).
Grade II*-listed Saltdean Lido, which was in a dilapidated state and in danger of being partially demolished, has reopened following a seven-year restoration project and £3m of community funding through efforts of a local group who secured a lease from … Continue reading
IHBC makes history again: New joint conservation practice statement – ‘Conservation Professional Practice Principles’ launched at 2017 School and AGM
The IHBC has launched our joint ‘Conservation Professional Practice Principles’ at the 2017 Day School and AGM in Manchester, which offers a new, accessible statement on practice principles for specialists working in built and historic environment conservation roles.
The IHBC’s 2017 Annual General Meeting saw the election of two new trustees to national posts in the institute – Jill Kerry (0472MEM NI) as IHBC Treasurer, and Andrew Shepherd, as IHBC Education Secretary, (1532MEM YO) – and new Branch … Continue reading
Andrew McClelland, chair of the IHBC’s Northern Ireland (NI) Branch, announced the theme and details for the 2018 Annual School at the close of the 2017 Day School in Manchester, introducing the school under the title: ‘Our shared Heritage: communication … Continue reading
HESPR’s top pick of the week: Consultant to evaluate impact of Historic England’s work, valued £30-40k, closing 10 July
The IHBC’s heritage business listing, HESPR – the Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition scheme – offers members weekly Bulletins that bring tender and other business opportunities together into one handy resource, and the Director’s top pick for NewsBlog readers this … Continue reading
IHBC CPD boost: Reflections on the Power of Place – Locality-led partnering on place-based working in Sheffield
Over 100 people from different walks of life gathered around a dance floor in Sheffield City Hall recently – not to learn ballroom steps, but instead to learn how to be partners in place-based working, in a joint event with … Continue reading
HE reopens applications for Heritage Action Zones (HAZ)- improve economic growth and quality of life in your local places
Historic England (HE) has reopened applications for Heritage Action Zone (HAZ) status and support, offering opportunities to improve economic growth and quality of life in cities by breathing new life into old places.
Scotland’s ‘What’s Your Heritage?’ campaign results out as Scots share thoughts on what heritage means to them
A report on what heritage means to Scots has been published by Historic Environment Scotland (HES), revealing which of Scotland’s places, buildings and monuments might be recognised and celebrated.
Rural network Wales Sustainable Management scheme third application window is opening on 10 July, and will provide financial support for land management and collaboration activities.
More than 30 of Northern Ireland’s most impressive and community-beneficial property schemes battled it out for top honours at the RICS Awards 2017, Northern Ireland with North Belfast’s Girdwood Community Hub claiming the overall ‘Project of the Year’ award.
RIBA Publishing has released ‘The Design Companion for Planning and Placemaking’, a primer described as ‘invaluable for planners, councillors, highway engineers and anyone involved in planning, creating or changing places’, that includes a contribution from IHBC President David McDonald on … Continue reading
Reduced rates are on offer to IHBC members from RTPI North East (NE) for its ‘Heritage Matters: from Policy to Practice‘ seminar in Newcastle on 5 July 2017, at which IHBC North Branch Chair Jules Brown will speak on ‘Conservation … Continue reading
IHBC opportunities spotlight: Innovate UK seeks applications for £5m for innovation in ‘infrastructure systems for a better world’
Innovate UK will invest up to £5m in projects – including Knowledge Transfer Partnership in infrastructure systems – that stimulate innovation in infrastructure systems that provide critical services for the economy, environment and society and create growth for UK businesses, … Continue reading
Property developers are finding it ‘significantly more difficult’ to get new houses built in areas controlled by Conservative politicians, new research reveals.
Nominations have opened for the third Scottish Heritage Angels Awards in a bid to find those groups and individuals – or ‘Angels’ – who have played a special part in caring for, recording and celebrating the nation’s historic environment.
Lichfields has published its most recent insight ‘Rural estates: economic benefits of rural tourism’, with key findings underpinning the case that ‘Planning is key to unlock the value in rural estates’.
On 17 May the National Trust (NT) was awarded a one-off Special Recognition Award at the prestigious Museums + Heritage Awards for Excellence.