Search the archive
- IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
- More IHBC members (and School delegates) with benefits: 2018 School Friend UAH offers 25% off select CPD-linked publications – NB: Collect at UAH only or P&P extra 23/05/2018
- Missing the IHBC’s 2018 School? Don’t forget – Money is not the barrier as bursaries are still available! 23/05/2018
- Missing the IHBC’s 2018 School – or going along? Either way, get your CPD boosts using our Day School ‘Speakers’ webpage 23/05/2018
- IHBC Annual School’s ‘Sharing’ theme shared with Ireland’s national heritage week of ‘stories’ – 18 to Sunday, 26 August, 2018 23/05/2018
- IHBC welcomes National Parks UK celebrat?ion of historic environments on ‘European Day of Parks’: 24 May 23/05/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Former mayor opposes demolition of Bath College’s Allen Building 23/05/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Neighbours bring life back into Scotland’s redundant churches, say BEFS and others 23/05/2018
- Council of Europe adopts revised directive on ‘Energy efficient buildings’ 23/05/2018
- Government consultation response to ‘Improving the use of planning conditions’ now out 23/05/2018
- UK residents can help ‘destress’ cities by mapping quiet spots 23/05/2018
- Missing the IHBC 2018 School? Prelude 1: Day School programme details now posted – 22 June, QUB, Belfast, including 2018 AGM 19/05/2018
- Missing the IHBC 2018 School? Prelude 2, as Bill Drummond outlines his take on ‘THE CURFEW TOWER: STAY HERE – MAKE ART… AND SHARE HERITAGE’ 19/05/2018
- Missing the IHBC’s 2018 School? … ‘Not’ a 2018 IHBC School prelude, but keynote Jukka Jokilehto outlines the origins of the 1993 ICOMOS Guidelines 19/05/2018
- IHBC responds to NPPF consultation: Calls time on insubstantial distinctions in levels of ‘substantial harm’, seeks new settings policies, and more…. 19/05/2018
- IHBC HESPR’s top pick this week: Nottingham CC seeks Conservation accredited architect to support Peoples Hall development, closing 23/05 19/05/2018
- IHBC CPD boost in Context: An ‘Island of architecture’ and its independent heritage trusts 19/05/2018
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Centuries-old worker’s graffiti uncovered in renovations at Wentworth Woodhouse 19/05/2018
- Interim Raynsford Review report now out: Final consultation on 9 ‘propositions’ continues to 29 June 19/05/2018
- Cupar CARS/THI contractor bursaries for traditional building skills training: To £500 19/05/2018
- AHRC highlights Global Challenge Research Fund (GCRF) opportunities: Education in Conflict and Protracted Crises – closing 24 May 19/05/2018
- IHBC’s Council+ first ‘Taster’ feedback: Early career members bring fresh perspectives to forward planning as ‘reverse mentoring’ guides your professional body! 15/05/2018
- Updates from IHBC and Civic Voice from Civic Societies APPG on England’s Conservation Areas at Risk & new research 15/05/2018
- IHBC’s Heritage from the doorstep: 4×4 threat to England’s largest scheduled monument – Cockfield Fell 15/05/2018
- BEFS’ update on campaign to improve property maintenance and repair in Scotland 15/05/2018
- BREEAM Wiki joins IHBC on DBW: Advancing knowledge sharing and collaborative solutions… for BRE sustainability tools 15/05/2018
Category Archives: Sector NewsBlog
The Council of Europe (COE) has adopted a revised directive on ‘Energy efficient buildings’, aimed at improving ‘energy efficiency in buildings and encourages building renovation’.
The Government has published its response to the consultation on draft regulations on ‘Improving the use of planning conditions’.
An online mapping survey, ‘DeStress’, has been launched by university researchers working to mitigate the negative impact environmental noise has on city dwellers’ health and wellbeing by identifying and preserving places with positive soundscapes.
Missing the IHBC 2018 School? Prelude 1: Day School programme details now posted – 22 June, QUB, Belfast, including 2018 AGM
Final programme details and timings for the IHBC’s Belfast Day School, on 22 June – and including the 2018 AGM – are in place, so do check them out, and if you have not yet booked your annual professional CPD-linked … Continue reading
Interim Raynsford Review report now out: Final consultation on 9 ‘propositions’ continues to 29 June
The Raynsford Review of Planning, set up to identify how the government can reform the English planning system to make it ‘fairer, better resourced and capable of producing quality outcomes, while still encouraging the production of new homes’, has issued … Continue reading
Cupar Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme/Townscape Heritage Initiative (CARS/THI) has announced that contractor bursaries of up to £500 are now available for traditional building skills training for apprentices and junior staff. Training for contractors at Hutton Stone quarry in the Scottish Borders
AHRC highlights Global Challenge Research Fund (GCRF) opportunities: Education in Conflict and Protracted Crises – closing 24 May
The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) has highlighting research networking scheme call concerning the ‘Global Challenge Research Fund’ (GCRF) – exploring ‘the contribution that arts and humanities research can make to education and learning in low or middle income … Continue reading
Director of Built Environment Forum Scotland (BEFS), Euan Leitch, provided an update on recent developments in the ongoing campaign to improve property maintenance in Scotland, including the establishment of a parliamentary working group on the maintenance of tenement communal property … Continue reading
BREEAM Wiki joins IHBC on DBW: Advancing knowledge sharing and collaborative solutions… for BRE sustainability tools
BREEAM Wiki has become part of the widely-used Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW), with the object of ‘advancing knowledge sharing and collaborative solutions for the BRE family of sustainability tools.’
COTAC publishes 2017 ‘BIM for Heritage’ conference abstracts etc: ‘Stepping into the Future with the Past’
COTAC has published material from its 2017 conference – BIM for Heritage: ‘Stepping into the Future with the Past,’ on its cotac.global website.
Glasgow City Heritage Trust (GCHT) has published a brief survey of heritage places and perceptions there , entitled ‘Glasgow’s Historic Built Environment: A Snapshot’, as a baseline of information to provoke ongoing discussions about heritage and the city.
Early career researchers in Arts and Humanities are being encouraged to make the most of a ‘transformational opportunity’ for funding that is being offered through UK Research and Innovation, with the submission deadline for the first call of 3 July … Continue reading
WMF Knoll Modernism prize: Nominations open to raise awareness of modern preservation successes – closing 15 June
With the support of founding sponsor Knoll, World Monuments Fund(WMF) launched the World Monuments Fund/Knoll Modernism Prize to raise awareness about modern preservation success stories, and nominations are now being accepted for outstanding and innovative design solutions that save modern … Continue reading
The BBC has reported on how a family in Stoke-on-Trent has been told to tear down their new home or spend £200,000 on a new roof after it was found to be 30 inches (76cm) too tall.
IHBC’s ‘Opinion’ signpost to BEFS: ‘In the Footsteps of Geddes’ – engaging young people with place & heritage
In an opinion piece for BEFS, Scotland’s link body for built environment bodies, Wojciech Borowski, Project Coordinator at Planning Aid Scotland (PAS), reflects on the two-year Heritage Lottery funded youth project titled ‘In the Footsteps of Geddes’, focussed on engaging … Continue reading
England’s newly formed Heritage Council, which includes select key players in the heritage sector, has met for the first time, as explained by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DDCMS) and Minister Michael Ellis MP. Contains public sector … Continue reading
CrowdJustice platform pioneered to ‘crowdfund’ coalition of opposition to Edinburgh’s Old Royal High School hotel plans
Plans for a new hotel on the site of Edinburgh’s Old Royal High School, on iconic Calton Hill, are being opposed by the city and national institutions, but with a new appeal in place following two refusals a coalition of … Continue reading
Applications open for 2019 Churchill Fellowships, including ‘Rural living’ and ‘… conservation & sustainable living’ – closing 18/09
The Winston Churchill Memorial Trust (WCMT) is now open to Churchill Fellowship applications for travel in 2019, with three new award categories (including Rural living) among the 12 on offer – including Environment, conservation & sustainable living – and with … Continue reading
Some 120,000 school children to benefit from £1.6 million investment to continue Historic England’s (HE) award winning Heritage Schools programme for the next two years so children can create films and exhibitions and campaign for war memorials, teachers can be … Continue reading
Historic England Angel Awards, started by Andrew Lloyd Webber, are open for applications and this year, as Wales joins England, Scotland and Northern Ireland to hold its own Angel awards this year, an overall winner will be chosen from the … Continue reading
Building Research Establishment (BRE) has launched the Online Ethical Labour Sourcing standard (BES 6002) developed to provide a framework for businesses to self-assess to better understand their corporate governance profile including human rights responsibilities.
Every new trustee in England will now receive a welcome pack on being a trustee from the Charity Commission.
The Scottish Civic Trust (SCT) has announced that its new Director is Dr Susan O’Connor, latterly Senior Projects Advisor for Scotland with the Princes Regeneration Trust. image Scottish Civic Trust website
International Summer Academy on Managing Historic Urban Landscapes – Open Call for early career participants: closing 15 May
Europa Nostra and partners invite early career professionals (‘up to 40 years old’) across Europe to apply to the Open Call for participation in the International Summer Academy ‘Managing Historic Urban Landscapes’, which will take place from 5-12 August 2018, … Continue reading
Arts & Business Scotland asks: Can you spare us 10 minutes to contribute to new research for the heritage sector?
Arts & Business Scotland (A&BS) is asking heritage stakeholders in Scotland to carry out a 10 minute to survey to contribute to new research for the heritage sector, with a deadline of 14 June 2018.