Originally an urban regeneration company, Opportunity Peterborough [OP] is now an economic development company, tasked with driving economic growth through engaging and supporting businesses, marketing for new investment and leading skills development for young people. It has recently been commissioned to support economic growth and regeneration in South Kesteven, under the brand ‘InvestSK’.
InvestSK has been tasked with delivering growth and regeneration across South Kesteven. Heritage is an important asset in the area, with the well-known qualities of Stamford alongside the less well-known but still highly impressive heritage qualities of Grantham, Bourne and Market Deeping. The rural area around is equally rich in history and the historic built environment. Too often, the value of heritage is under-estimated, and InvestSK is adamant that this will not be case in South Kesteven’s regeneration.
The job description below provides details of the responsibilities and activities that constitute this role, but in short: if you want to ensure that heritage plays its merited role in regeneration (re-shaping urban environments, developing heritage skills, and celebrating the value of heritage) then this job could be for you.
Key purpose of the role
To catalyse, develop and lead heritage regeneration initiatives across South Kesteven with a focus on place-making through heritage, skills development, and the establishment of a heritage trust delivery vehicle and associated network.
Reporting to: Steve Bowyer – Strategic Lead, InvestSK [CEO, Opportunity Peterborough]
- Working with the InvestSK Lead, develop a 1-year and 2-5 year plan for heritage regeneration across South Kesteven; including locality specific initiatives which build on existing activities and catalyse new approaches as appropriate.
- Scope, plan and develop a ‘heritage trust’ for South Kesteven, which facilitates networking across the various heritage organisations in the district, and which becomes the vehicle for leading heritage interventions in the district.
- Alongside the establishment of a heritage trust, develop a wider, coherent network of heritage organisations and interested parties, to form a collaborative stakeholder group (this could form the initial steps in establishing the trust); maximising communications and media routes to ensure engagement (eg websites, social media, apps etc).
- Identify, develop and implement a ‘heritage skills’ programme, based in Grantham but relevant to the whole of the South Kesteven area; engaging with key external partners, providers and funders.
- Contribute strongly to masterplanning activities within identified market towns to ensure that heritage plays an important part in regeneration and place-making.
- An initial priority area for heritage engagement programmes will be Grantham, with the development of the Heritage Quarter, St Wulfram’s and existing heritage funding schemes.
- Identify major funding support for heritage programmes, and establish funding routes for local heritage organisations, working with the InvestSK bidding team.
- Build strong, credible and sustained relationships with key partners, including Historic England, Heritage Lottery Fund et al.
- Act as a visible and credible ambassador for the area’s heritage assets and offer.
- Collaborate closely with other senior officers and members in SKDC, including, although not exhaustively or exclusively, leads in culture, planning and growth.
- Advise on, and contribute to, conservation policies being produced by SKDC.
- Provide regular reports on progress including annual measures of impact on the local economy and economic activity rates.
- Experience of heritage and regeneration projects.
- Knowledge of the constraints and opportunities presented by heritage, conservation and the built-environment.
- Ability to design, develop, implement and measure strategic approaches to delivery.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build credibility with partners and manage on-going relations.
- Experience of attracting funding and/or alternative forms of revenue generation.
- Experience of engaging major strategic partners at all levels.
- Member of the IHBC or similar conservation body.
- Experience of leading consortia of collaborative partners
Please send your CV with a cover letter expressing your interest in working for Opportunity Peterborough and detailing how you think you would fit the role, to: Lisa Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org
For any queries relating to the post, please call 01733 317417
Closing date for applications: 24thNovember 2017
Interviews to be held w/c 27th November 2017
Appointments will be made by fair and open processes, taking account of equal opportunities.