NE1 Ltd has been awarded Delivery Phase funding by the Heritage Lottery Fund (Townscape Heritage scheme) towards a project that aims to revitalise the fortunes of Newcastle’s Bigg Market…so more European market square and less stag/hen party central! By reversing years of neglect and underinvestment the project will encourage new businesses and residents to the Bigg Market, providing a greatly enhanced customer offer – both by day and night time.
The project will protect and maximise the area’s heritage and cultural value, making the place attractive to visit and so help business operators and landlords achieve economic sustainability. This in turn will help ensure valuable heritage is protected, with commercially successful businesses and building owners prepared to invest in their properties/businesses over the long term.
The project will include the refurbishment and repair of frontages and fabric of up to 16 listed buildings in poor repair and the public conveniences, the upgrading and re-animation of the public realm and an educational programme to better explain the value of the area’s heritage to businesses, landlords and the general public.
The Delivery Phase is already underway with procurement of a works contractor; work on site is expected to commence from January 2018. Combined with other 3rd party and match funding the project value is £3.2m.
Reporting directly to the Operations Director, the Project Manager will be responsible for driving forward the Delivery Phase of the project. Duties will include:
- Establishing effective working relationships with the project’s interested parties including; Bigg Market landlords and business operators, the project professional team, the local HLF team, Newcastle City Council and other relevant heritage bodies. Close engagement with landlords to encourage maximum take-up of the match-funded HLF grants is central to the project.
- Coordination and communication, in conjunction with our professional team, of project work streams in order to meet timeframes and minimise disruption to business operators.
- The Project Manager will deliver the project Activity Plan. Flair and imagination will be required to maximise impact and to make sure the project provides an enduring legacy in the Bigg Market area.
- Managing the project budget and working with the NE1 Office Manager to review cash flow forecasts.
- Ensuring value for money is achieved and the interests of both NE1 and the HLF are promoted throughout the project.
Educated to degree standard, the successful candidate will be a motivated, enthusiastic self-starter with a keen eye for detail and an interest in conservation and heritage. Strong project management experience is essential, ideally in a relevant heritage-related field. Evidence of managing a grant funded construction project, with multiple interested parties involved, will be of particular interest. The ability to work to tight deadlines and possession of strong written and verbal communication skills will be essential.