AECOM is one of the largest heritage teams within the UK within one of the largest and most respected engineering and environmental consultancies in the world. We work locally, nationally and internationally on some of the highest profile projects; offering an unparalleled and unique range of opportunities within planning, environment and engineering sectors.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Built Heritage Consultant to join us on an initial 9 month contract who will uphold our commitment to excellence and provide independent, expert and confident advice on a wide range of heritage issues within a planning, environmental and engineering context. You will be joining our established and reputable heritage team in our multi-disciplinary office of environmental and engineering consultants in central Birmingham or Leeds.
As a Senior Built Heritage Consultant you will be required to provide expert advice, analysis and assessment; and, professional, strong and compelling advocacy. With a varied workload that will include providing independent historical research and analysis, sound written and verbal advice to clients on world heritage sites, listed buildings, conservation areas, registered parks and gardens, non-designated heritage assets, legislation (including issues relating to consents), policy and guidance; preparation of Heritage Statements, Statements of Significance, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA); and, Heritage and Characterisation Assessments.
To be successful in this role we are looking for the following:
- Full knowledge of the planning process (including EIA) and be fully conversant with the relevant heritage legislation, policy and guidance;
- Robust knowledge of UK architectural history;
- Extensive experience of identifying and describing the significance of heritage assets;
- Extensive experience of identifying and describing the contribution that setting makes to significance of heritage assets;
- Willingness and/or experience of working on appeals and public inquiries;
Experience of delivering environmental impact assessments and supporting programmes for complex large infrastructure and/or major schemes;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Willingness to work across the UK as fits project requirements;
- Experience in both commercial consultancy and for local authorities;
- Excellent research skills;
- Client focused team player with a positive, ‘can do’ attitude;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail to get things right first time;
- Ability to manage own time and comfortable working both within a team or alone to tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Flexible approach to working hours to meet the demands of the role, including occasional working away from home.
A current full UK driving license is essential.
Candidates will have:
- A relevant first degree or post-graduate qualification in a relevant subject such as archaeology or buildings conservation;
- Relevant masters level or higher qualification in heritage or planning;
- Appropriate level of membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists or IHBC.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior consultant in our growing and expanding heritage team to join us at a time when we are dealing with some of the UK’s largest, most interesting, challenging and complex projects. It is an excellent opportunity within an established engineering and environmental consultancy offering you scope to continue and grow your career and professional development. AECOM develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual performance and rewards process.
AECOM’s heritage team is a Registered Organisation with the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists.