Context 153 - March 2018
44 C O N T E X T 1 5 3 : M A R C H 2 0 1 8 The British Hotel in Douglas under construction in 1897. It is built with proper half- timbered construction of heavy oak timbers, with brick infill, which was plastered and painted. A large assembly room on the first floor accommodates special events. (Photo: Manx Museum Library) Alex Nivison’s butcher shop and house, designed by Rigby.The canopy and shop windows were removed in the 1930s when the shop became a bank and metal window frames were fitted. During recent works Hartford Homes reinstated them at the request of the Friends of Onchan’s Heritage and the property looks much like this again. (Photo: Manx Museum Library) When Rigby applied for membership of the RIBA in 1905, he stated that he had been obliged to give up practice in 1889 due to ill-health. He had gone to the Isle of Man and was farming at Annacur, on the outskirts of Douglas, at some time during 1888. He was on the com- mittee of the Manx Agricultural Society from January 1889. In 1890, he produced a report for Deemster (High Court Judge) Drinkwater on ways of improving sanitary arrangements and ventilation in Douglas Court House, but nothing more architectural than that. In December 1890, he purchased a 116-acre farm a few miles south of Douglas. The vendor, Mrs Leece, a widow, moved toWest Kensington, London, and it was there Rigby married her daughter Edith in January 1891. The young couple returned to the Isle of Man and Rigby threw himself into what was described as ‘improved farming’. He integrated into the local society, more so than any other architect coming to the island. He gave talks on various topics to men’s groups, became a licenced reader at his parish church, and vice-president of the local football club, and in 1908 he was elected a Member of the House of Keys (the Manx Parliament) for North Douglas. His return to architecture came in 1896. A local brewery, Woolf ’s, held an architectural competition for the erection of a new public house and hotel on a cleared site overlooking the busy quayside in Douglas. In an idle moment, Rigby entered the competition. All buildings in the capital were built from local slate stone, rendered externally. Buildings of that date would have sash windows, string courses, drip moulds and cornices at eaves level. Rigby’s plan was for a half-timbered building with casement windows and a Rosemary tiled roof, but it appealed to the judges and he won the premium. The hotel was built and named after its predecessor, ‘The British’. Asked to describe the architectural style of the building, Rigby replied ‘New Antique’. Suddenly he was in demand.The Athol Hotel on the seafront, built only 20 years beforehand, wanted an internal makeover. His scheme was one of hardwood panelling, stained glass screens and the incorporation of the crest of the Duke of Athol in woodcarving, Rigby’s lych gate and cross shelter created an imposing entrance to Kirk Michael churchyard. (Photo: Manx Museum Library)
Made with FlippingBook
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjgyMjA=