Context 145 - July 2016

8 C O N T E X T 1 4 5 : J U LY 2 0 1 6 there is pressure to relocate redundant listed examples of signal boxes for operational reasons. This would divorce the buildings from their operational and site context. The paper focuses on key exemplars to compare actual locational factors with theoretical conservation policy and practice. In a paper on the governance of urban heritage, Matthias Ripp and Dennis Rodwell suggest that since the publication of the 1975 Council of Europe Charter, and recognition of the interdependence of heritage with urban and regional planning, the debate about sustainability and climate change has seen various attempts to reposition European urban heritage from a specialist to a mainstream activity, as further recognised by the European Union Toledo Declaration of 2010. The authors argue that for this integration to be successful, sound governance is required. The authors advance arguments concerning moving from sustainability to a concept of urban resilience, and call for better systems thinking (for which they provide a helpful checklist of characteristics). Other papers in the current issue describe the management of the natural and cultural heritage of Jordan, and a study of what the compatibility of heritage in historic areas means in relation to the development and high- rise redevelopment of Kuwait City. A short item in the June 2016 issue of Natural Stone Specialist highlights the use of the Planning and Development Act 2010 to prevent the sterilisation of 11 development sites in Lincoln that would preclude stone extraction for the repair of Lincoln Cathedral and the castle. The cathedral currently extracts about 100 tonnes of limestone a year for working in its own masonry workshops, but supplies are close to exhaustion from a quarry that has been in continuous operation since 1876. Under the act, the cathedral will be consulted as sites become available so that stone extraction by negotiation may be possible prior to redevelopment. Finally, former members of the Association of Conservation Officers who attended the annual school held at Keble College, Oxford, in 1996 may recall that one of the site visits was to the workshops of the contractors Symm at Osney Mead in the city. The company that had been synonymous with fine masonry work for 200 years eventually became APS Masonry (Axtell Perry Symm), but with the recent difficult peaks and troughs of construction, the stone masonry side of the business faced closure. Natural Stone Specialist reports that fortunately the owners of Cotswold Natural Stone have recently taken over a company described as ‘just too good to be allowed to close’. Bob Kindred MBE From The Visitor’s Hand-Book for Holyhead by Thomas Jackson, 1853 Mr Walpole, whose splendid work appeared in 1784, makes the following remark on Holyhead: ‘The village consists of a straggling confused heap of thatched houses built on rocks’. The Rev R Warner, who wrote his interesting and learned work on North Wales in 1798, merely observes: ‘The parish of Holyhead reckons a population of about 2,000’. Mr Bingley, in his instructive volume, gives us some half-dozen lines on the place; but Mr Aiken, and several others, have not so much as named it. From what they had heard and read, they concluded that the insignificant village possessed but few events at all worthy of being recorded, and those few not of the most interesting nature. They, therefore, refused ‘To strike their harps amid the cheerless gloom’. Such was Holyhead a few years ago. At that time there was no harbour for her vessels, but what the rude hand of Nature had formed—no lighthouse streaming in the midnight gloom—no telegraph to announce to distant parties what vessels heaved in sight—no railway train gliding swiftly and smoothly along the iron-road—no joyous excursionists pouring in by thousands, paying their respects to the natives, beneath the shining of a Summer’s sun—no coachman with his sounding horn—no spirit for commercial enterprise—no Bible Society—no Missionary Society—no schools to ‘teach the young idea how to shoot’—no Savings Bank—no Libraries— no Mechanic’s Institute. It could not boast, like other towns, of advance in trade, or commercial prosperity. It had rather to hang its harp upon the willows, and wonder why all the mighty advantages that Nature had lavished on its transcendently lovely Bay had been so long comparatively overlooked. The present century rose on Holyhead like a sun in smiles. Her growth to importance has taken place within the last half century; the time of her visitation had dawned, her set time was come; the tide of her future prosperity sprung auspiciously; the sympathies of England were turned towards her—the wealth of England was expended on her—and the experience, science, industry, and enterprise of England were put forth on her behalf. The erection of South Stack Lighthouse in 1808, the commencement of the Pier, with its Harbour, Graving Dock, and Lighthouse in 1810, the Government establishment, and the completion of the great Parliamentary road, gave a commercial impulse to the place, and materially contributed to attract and support a thriving population. SPINE:5.5MM TRIM:174X248 YHEN Volume 7 Number 1 2016 The Historic Environment POLICY&PRACTICE The Historic Environment POLICY & PRACTICE ISSN 1756-7505 Volume 7 Number 1 2016 ment 29-03-2016 18:54:24

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjgyMjA=