Context 126 - September 2012

36 C O N T E X T 1 2 6 : S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 2 S Fort Nelson tells the story of a determined and patient rescue of a very challenging historic structure over a period of many years, leading to an appropriate new use providing public access. The military heroism envisaged by Palmerston was never called on, but today the fort represents conservation on a truly heroic scale. Michael Taylor Hospital of St Cross and the Almshouse of Noble Poverty study tour On our quest to tease out the answer to the 2012 annual school topic, ‘Significance: who decides?’, we left our hostelry in the centre of Winchester following the historic merchant and pilgrim route which would lead us to England’s oldest continuing almshouse. We were welcomed by the inimitable John Crook, author, buildings historian and archaeological consultant to the Hospital of St Cross and Almshouse of Noble Poverty. Crook explained how the hospital buildings had evolved from the 12th century to comprise a cornucopia of Grade I listed structures, which include the Church of St Faith, which now presents as a ‘cathedral in miniature’; One Hundred Men’s Hall, now the café; Beaufort’sTower, the Brethren’s Hall, the 15th century Master’s lodgings; and a Tudor long gallery. The site is set within the water meadows of the River Itchen, with formal landscaping which has 17th century connections to North America. Our guide expressed his vexation that the complex had not, as yet, been scheduled as an ancient monument. The church is managed by the faculty system. Although ‘there is no requirement to consult an archaeologist’, his advice is sought on matters of significance as it is ‘good practice to have an archaeologist’. St Cross has offered hospitality, in the Cluniac tradition, to those in need, for over 850 years. This lay foundation has been presided over by successive politically influential Masters since it was established in around 1130 by Henri De Blois (1100-1171), a wealthy and royally connected Cluniac-educated monk. His establishment of the Chantry function, requiring the 13 resident brothers to attend Matins, ensured that the way would be eased ‘for the good of his soul and the King’s of England’. In the 15th century Cardinal Henry Beaufort (13751447) founded a second brotherhood, the Order of Noble Poverty, which followed Cistercian ideals of spiritual and physical cleanliness. He constructed almshouses along the lines of an Oxford College, abutting the existing order.The sophisticated specification of the new apartments included individual garderobes (medieval toilets), discharging into a watercourse diverted from the River Itchen. The surviving apartments are intact apart from modifications resulting from modern legislation for sanitation and fire safety, which has altered the configuration of the accommodation. The parallel Brotherhoods shared the church, which was later to welcome local parishioners and become the Church of St Faith. The two Brotherhoods eventually merged, and the Hospital of St Cross and Almshouse of Noble Poverty is now a registered charity, funded by public donations. The institution has successfully maintained its original purpose through adapting to the imperatives of the present. Tina Lloyd Sunshine at last: delegates tour the grounds of the Hospital of St Cross. (Photo: James Caird)

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjgyMjA=