Context 125 _ July 2012

2 C O N T E X T 1 2 5 : J U LY 2 0 1 2 Briefing Context Editor Rob Cowan Editorial Coordinator Fiona Newton 21 George Street, Louth, Lincolnshire LN11 9JU Tel 01507 602567 email editorial@ihbc.org.uk Editorial Board Fiona Newton (chair) Nigel Crowe (main features) Peter de Figueiredo (book reviews) Michael Taylor (main features) Cartoons by Rob Cowan Context is distributed to all members of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation. © Institute of Historic Building Conservation 2012 ISSN 0958-2746 Publisher Published for the Institute of Historic Building Conservation by Cathedral Communications Limited, High Street, Tisbury,Wiltshire, England SP3 6HA Tel 01747 871717 Fax 01747 871718 email context@cathcomm.co.uk www.buildingconservation.com Non-member subscriptions to Context Context is available to corporate bodies at an annual subscription rate, including postage, of: United Kingdom £60.00 Elsewhere £90.00 Subscription orders, together with remittances payable to Institute of Historic Building Conservation, should be sent to the IHBC Business Office at Jubilee House, High Street, Tisbury, Wiltshire SP3 6HA. The views expressed in Context are not necessarily held by the IHBC or the publisher. Neither the publisher nor the IHBC shall be under any liability whatsoever in respect of contributed articles. We gratefully acknowledge the support of firms whose advertisements appear throughout this publication.While every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in this issue of Context is current and correct, neither the IHBC nor the publisher can be held responsible for any errors or omissions which may occur. Copy deadlines Context is published five times a year, in March, May, July, September and November. The remaining copy deadlines in 2012 are: September, Issue 126 16 July November, Issue 127 17 September Working order The Grade II* listed Brixton Windmill, one of only four surviving tower mills in Greater London has been restored. It had been on English Heritage’s buildings-at-risk register. Built in 1816, the mill was run by the Ashby family for all of its working life, the last wheat being milled there in 1934. Dannatt, Johnson Architects worked with the Friends of Windmill Gardens and London Borough of Lambeth to restore the mill to working order. It is now a focus for education services to local school and community groups. The work included conservation and redecoration of the brick tower; repair and refurbishment of the windows; and internal timber work. Extensive work was carried out to repair the sails, including re-introducing a shutter system to allow the sails to turn with the wind. The mill’s unusual timber cap was repaired. At home with Soane This summer Sir John Soane’s Museum unveils the first phase of its £7 million restoration project. No 12 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, the house next door to Sir John Soane’s Museum, has been restored to provide facilities for the museum. Phase 1 of Opening up the Soane reveals a new Soane-designed house, built and decorated by John and Eliza Soane for their own use in 1792. Languishing unseen until now, No 12 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, is an elegant, neoclassical townhouse, with its astonishingly elaborate decorations reinstated for the first time in 200 years. Soane’s lofty ‘geometric’ staircase has been restored, with the walls painted to resemble the sooty masonry of a Roman catacomb. Other features include two Pompeian-red rooms, one with a ceiling painted like a cloudy sky, and the Soanes’ breakfast parlour, its vault painted as a fictive vine trellis by John Crace, the artist who decorated the Royal Pavilion at Brighton. Julian Harrap Architects was the lead conservation architect. Upstairs a new gallery for temporary exhibitions has been designed by Caruso St John in a Soanean livery of mahogany and mirror. The memories linger on Fiona Newton writes: We just can’t let go of our sporting memories, as the images on the next page stand witness. The main stand entrance from the 1920s Archibald Leitch rebuilding of the Baseball Ground, home of Derby County Football Club, has been rebuilt – rather incongruously – against the steel and concrete of the new Pride Park Stadium. Now known as the Lionel Pickering entrance, its erection in 2009, some six years after the Baseball Ground was demolished, commemorates CONTEXT READER SURVEY Let us know what you think about Context. Please take a minute to fill in our survey. www.surveymonkey.com/s/contextsurvey

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjgyMjA=