Context 125 _ July 2012

22 C O N T E X T 1 2 5 : J U LY 2 0 1 2 Tennis Club was laid out, followed soon after by a bowling green. The building of the estate continued to progress from east to west. In 1910 the Circle complex, including the community hall, shops and estate office, was finished. Under the large Hall, with its theatrical stage and changing rooms, a wooden skittle alley was constructed. This is believed to be the only remaining one of its kind, with both flat and crowned parallel alleys. Next door, another room hosted the gymnasium used by the Boys Athletic Club (girls were allowed only on Saturday afternoons at three o’clock), which also ran football and cricket teams on nearby sports pitches, sadly long since gone, as is the athletics club itself. Today the long and narrow room is used by the air rifle and pistol shooting club. The Estate Office next to the hall hosts the snooker and billiards club, which had relocated to the purpose-built large room above it.The club has three tables and cue chalks which still lower on the original pulleys placed above the tables. For a while the Circle had a green at its centre.This is now a further set of tennis courts with a thriving A plan of the Moor Pool estate The Moor Pool

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjgyMjA=